7mm r m nosler vs sierra match king

well i do not know about elk we dont have them in northeast alabama, but i dont understand how a 162gr. amax would kill one and not a nosler partition 150gr. not to sound smart or anything, but i shot a deer at 425 and blew baseball size pass through when hit rib with nosler i just started shooting the sierra the guys i know around here shooting them has no problem.
I prefer to avoid massive exit wounds as well as very tiny exit wounds that can make blood trailing very difficult and allow for critters to run a very long way before bleeding out.

There exists a happy medium between the two that is pretty wide.

The problem with the Amax at high velocities is that it has a very thin jacket so you get massive and inconsistent expansion and if you hit anything very solid it may well shell out completely with no exit wound.

To me the ideal exit wound is just about the diameter of a golf ball, no bigger, no smaller.

I prefer to avoid massive exit wounds as well as very tiny exit wounds that can make blood trailing very difficult and allow for critters to run a very long way before bleeding out.

There exists a happy medium between the two that is pretty wide.

The problem with the Amax at high velocities is that it has a very thin jacket so you get massive and inconsistent expansion and if you hit anything very solid it may well shell out completely with no exit wound.

To me the ideal exit wound is just about the diameter of a golf ball, no bigger, no smaller.

I have shot the 155 grain Amax in my 300 RUM and it was smokin! I shot deer as close as 35 yards out to 200 yards . The only complaint that I had was while cleaning my DEAD deer ! It was messy:D Bone chips and whatever else got in the Amaxs way got blown to smithereans !
I only went to the berger cuz of reading peoples results with them at Long range .
One of the reasons why it blows up is because it is pushed at high velocities and the thin jacket that you have already mentioned .
If a person wants a boolit that will kill white tail deer up close and on the other side of the corn field then the Match king or Amax's will do it well .

I have a 16 point white tail and a 4x4 muley on the wall and they are firm believers of thin jacketed target bulletsgun)

When velocities slow down the thin jackets can become your friend and open up more than the so called "hunting" bullets. Just my opinion.

Last year I saw the match king kill several does at bow range out to 70 yards . Out of a 300 win mag .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts