7mm mag vs. 300 win mag

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Bill, I've heard that said before. Can you please tell me which bullets in .308 are not available in .284?

For hunting I like barnes TSX and XLC bullets.

XLC:
7mm - 140gr. or 160gr.
30cal - 130, 150, 165, 168, 180, 180

TSX:
7mm - 140 or 160
30cal - 150 168 180 200

I like the 7wsm over the 7rem mag. I like the 300win mag over wsm.

7 and 30 both have high BC bullets but you have to use an ultra mag for the 240 smk.

From what you've said I would go with the 7wsm.

TC,
I tend to lean toward the 7mm RM. I have owned a Sendero in this caliber since they became available to the public. It has performed flawlessly and is superbly accurate out to at least 500yds.
I bought and sold a .300 WM Sendero since buying my 7mm. For what I was asking the rifle(s) to do I couldn't see where the .300 was any better. It bellowed more, it kicked more and did not kill deer any better. I developed a terrible flinch from shooting the thing and traded it for a 70's era 700 BDL Varmint Special in .243 Win (which I since traded for a .25-06 Sendero!).
Both are "easy" to load for. Both have a wide selection of bullets and powders to choose from. My 7mm was easier to find accurate loads for but that may have been the rifles and not the calibers. The .300 does digest a tad more powder than the 7mm.
I currently have a Vari-X III 4.5x14x40 on my 7 that I sent back to Leupold to have a elevation target turret installed on. It works great for whitetails or targets. The .300 is a good round, but I'll take a 7 Mag any day. IMHO. Johnny K.

tc, in questions like this it ultimately boils down to personal preferance. When a person asks a question such this (in my experience anyway) your answers will be opinion. If it were me I would go with the .300, but again thats is me. Take the one which makes you happier.

I'm having trouble deciding between the two, which one has more optoins for reloading, will use for white-tails (300yd max), caribou, elk, and would like to load down for ground hogs (400yd max)

If I had to chose one rifle to do all my hunting, elk to groundhogs, it would be a 7 mag. I've had two, and maybe I was lucky, but they both consistently shot under .5 moa. I had a brake on one, and with that rifle was able to comfortably shoot 50 rounds a day at prairie dogs, using 168 SMK's. The .300 mag I shoot is a bit bigger than the Win mag, so I can't make a fair comparison based on that, but I will say that even with a brake it pounds me just enough more than the 7 mag did, that it is not pleasant to shoot 20 rounds from a bipod with it. My $.02, and it is based solely on opinion.

If it were me I would go 300, but thats just me. This choice is going to come down to personal preferance.

Youre going to get about 3100 FPS from a 160-162 grain bullet in 7mm RM. Youre going to get about the same velocity from the 300 WM with a 190 grain bullet. So, what do you want?...In my opinion, the accuracy POTENTIAL (please note: emphasis on potential) could be better for the 300 as well as slightly better barrel life. Go with the one that makes you the most happy. I also feel there is a better selection of bullets for the 30 cal. 110-240 grains in any configuration you like.

.300 wm with 168 txs. 180 TSX if 168 doesn't shoot well in your rifle.

Elk are tough to kill I'd want the .300 and those barnes bullets will drop'em quick.

Nighthawk, I used the 140 xlc's last year in wyoming with my 7mm STW. Both the mulie and the lope dropped in their tracks. 216yrds for the mulie and 48 yards with the lope.

I haven't used the TSX, but a lot of people say they are accurate. The XLC's were not very tight in my rifle. I switched to Cauterucio's shortly after and never tried the TSX because I had not yet heard results and I wasn't about to experiment with Barnes again. However if I was going to hunt black bear or something that bites back, I'd always have Barnes.

Note that TC's post stated that he wasn't going to shoot past 400 yards, that is why I suggested Barnes.

There is no dealier bullet than the barnes....you just have to get them to shoot.

Hmm, it sounds like I need to do some more reloadin.
smile.gif
Not a problem. Has someone on here tried the Groove Bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.