7 stw group

I have a factory remington barrel with a minimum match spec chamber 0 freebore. Shooting 162 non vlds work but the eld-x bullets are a bit to long and poke further in the case than I like. But maybe that's not much of a problem? I have a bunch of 140 noslers they shoot very well also. I'm fairly new to reloading for these larger cases.
The ELD-X should not be sensitive to seating depth.

The ELD-X should not be sensitive to seating depth.

I had them jumping. 010 just to fit the magazine. And shot 3/4" at 100yrds. They were stuffed in the case a long ways. I only tried 1 powder with a couple different loads. I haven't given them a good try. Can a person push the bullet to far into a case to cause pressure problems?

I had them jumping. 010 just to fit the magazine. And shot 3/4" at 100yrds. They were stuffed in the case a long ways. I only tried 1 powder with a couple different loads. I haven't given them a good try. Can a person push the bullet to far into a case to cause pressure problems?
It largely depends on the powder you are using.

I have never been a fan of a "compressed load" but I know guys who shot nothing else.

Is your case completely filled? Do you feel like you are compressing it?

If you don't see any pressure signs I wouldn't worry too much about it.

One thing that has me scratching my head a bit is that you said you have 0 freebore but a factory spec rifle. All SAAMI spec chambers have some freebore as far as I know.

All heavy for caliber bullets are long, it's just part of it.

I have never been a fan of a "compressed load" but I know guys who shot nothing else.

One thing that has me scratching my head a bit is that you said you have 0 freebore but a factory spec rifle. All SAAMI spec chambers have some freebore as far as I know.

There is room in the case,the powder still shakes in the case. I'm fairly new to loading these big cases with heavy bullets. I didn't have any pressure signs with 7828 shooting over book max.

Factory barrel with a minimum spec 0 freebore chamber. The barrel was chambered by Steve Hendry. I have another factory barrel chambered by him as well without a shot down the tube. I think reamers have like .024 freebore due to the taper for the bullet entering the rifling.

There is room in the case,the powder still shakes in the case. I'm fairly new to loading these big cases with heavy bullets. I didn't have any pressure signs with 7828 shooting over book max.

Factory barrel with a minimum spec 0 freebore chamber. The barrel was chambered by Steve Hendry. I have another factory barrel chambered by him as well without a shot down the tube. I think reamers have like .024 freebore due to the taper for the bullet entering the rifling. But they still seem to be called 0 freebore

Factory barrel with a minimum spec 0 freebore chamber. The barrel was chambered by Steve Hendry. I have another factory barrel chambered by him as well without a shot down the tube. I think reamers have like .024 freebore due to the taper for the bullet entering the rifling. But they still seem to be called 0 freebore
That makes more sense to me and it sounds like you shouldn't run into any real problems.

That makes more sense to me and it sounds like you shouldn't run into any real problems.

Okay good deal. I want very worried but uncharted territory raises concerns. I love the rifle so I like to proceed with caution when I don't know. Thank you very much for the information you shared.

Okay good deal. I want very worried but uncharted territory raises concerns. I love the rifle so I like to proceed with caution when I don't know. Thank you very much for the information you shared.
Shoot slow burning temp stable powders and work up slowly keeping an eye on accuracy rather than speed and if you run into any pressure signs back off.

Keep within those guidelines and you're going to be fine.:)

Do you have a recommendation on powder to use with the 162 eld-x?
H1000 is my go to powder for big cases.

Alliant's RL 26 is new and very promising for speed and temp stability. I recently bought some but have not as yet tried loading with it.

RL 33 is another very good powder for the STW although some people have said that while it shoots well for them in warm weather it doesn't when it's cold so you may want to consider changes in temperature between where you live and do your load work ups vs where you hunt.

One problem a lot of us have is that we tend to spend the summer working up loads and shooting and then really don't have any clue what it's going to do with a 40+ degree temp shift.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.