7 SAUM build help

ed209clark

Greetings everyone, merry Christmas and happy holidays!!!

I'm looking to build my first custom gun and I have a barrel that I got from a friend that should be a good start it is a 24"1:8 sendero light proof, I'd like to build one and be done.

The COL should be around 3.090-3.110 I'm going with 7saum ( if I can form something else from this brass then I'm ok with that as well) because I have lots of brass and bullets and of course the barrel now I just need some advice on the higher end receivers and which size… long action/short/intermediate…?

So far I've looked at terminus, curtis, bighorn, stiller, lone peak, and defiance.

Lighter weight would be a plus but it's easier for me to lose a couple pounds, and I'd rather have a solid platform and sturdy build that will last me the rest of my life and be passed down to my kids.

I'm looking to use an AG stock but need help with the bottom metal and I'll assume I'll need to go with a center feed mag but I'm not sure what is required for feeding reliably, this odd size round or which one is best.

I could also use a good gunsmith to make all this happen and I have no idea who to use, I'm in the southeast but I guess that really doesn't matter much in the scheme of things these days with MS teams and technology.

Thank you so much in advance for you help and advice!

Ed

I currently have a lightweight 7 SAUM being built. I went with the BAT Vampire long action for this build and love it. As far as bottom metal, I went with Hawkins. I also have a 6.5 SAUM on an XM length Defiance Deviant Hunter action and have been VERY pleased with it as well. If you want to run 180 class bullets and heavier in the 7 SAUM I would definitely go with a medium or long action and give yourself enough freebore so you can seat the heavy bullets with the bearing surface at the junction of the neck and the shoulder. as far as gunsmiths go check out this link https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/28/best-gunsmith/

I have a 7 saum built on a Stiller Predator medium action, AG Composite stock using Lone bottom metal. My opinion is that the med size action is perfect for this size cartridge. Get a MDT mag cut down to 3-4 rds from Kinnport Rifles. They run great. I've got a 6.5 prc on a Defiance Rebel xm action that I love also. Manners LRH stock, Hawkins bottom metal, mdt mag, runs like thin paint.

Greetings everyone, merry Christmas and happy holidays!!!

I'm looking to build my first custom gun and I have a barrel that I got from a friend that should be a good start it is a 24"1:8 sendero light proof, I'd like to build one and be done.

The COL should be around 3.090-3.110 I'm going with 7saum ( if I can form something else from this brass then I'm ok with that as well) because I have lots of brass and bullets and of course the barrel now I just need some advice on the higher end receivers and which size… long action/short/intermediate…?

So far I've looked at terminus, curtis, bighorn, stiller, lone peak, and defiance.

Lighter weight would be a plus but it's easier for me to lose a couple pounds, and I'd rather have a solid platform and sturdy build that will last me the rest of my life and be passed down to my kids.

I'm looking to use an AG stock but need help with the bottom metal and I'll assume I'll need to go with a center feed mag but I'm not sure what is required for feeding reliably, this odd size round or which one is best.

I could also use a good gunsmith to make all this happen and I have no idea who to use, I'm in the southeast but I guess that really doesn't matter much in the scheme of things these days with MS teams and technology.

Thank you so much in advance for you help and advice!

Ed

9698768F-3F63-4EAA-A3B6-8CECF2BA6A23.jpeg

Put together in 10 minutes

That looks amazing! I'm not planning on anything over 180gr I think the 162 eldx and 168 bergers maybe be the go to for my 500 or less yard shots, the 175s have been the heaviest I've loaded so far and I'm around 2800fps with them and retumbo/h1000 in a 22" mdl 7 with 9.25/1 twist, I think that is the ag stock I was looking at in the first picture! And the anti x is what I was looking at as well. I'm going to do some testing with loaded rounds under 3" maybe 2.90 and see if I can just use a standard SA center feed or bigger Wyatt box if that makes sense. Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!!!🎄

I will take your advice longtine88! Thanks so much for the advice! It it very much appreciated!! Not I just need a smith to help me with it! I'm an engineer(EE) and know when I'm out of comfort area and tool/skill set. Any recommendations on a good smith? Very best regards, Ed

As for actions if you're looking for lighter weight consider bat vampire, lonepeak alpine cut or kelbly nanook. I don't own a bat yet, but my lone peak and kelbly are amazing and will be adding the nanook to the line up soon enough!!!

Recent Posts