7 PRC & 140 GR bullets?

That’s the 147 apex afterburner.

I haven't tried Berger or hammer in that weight range

Attachments

• IMG_8855.jpeg
    IMG_8855.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I'm currently shooting a few STW's and just wanted to see what's the PRC could do compared to them. I have one on its last leg and might go 7 PRC just for the heck of it.
Does this mean you might have some stw brass available in the future 😁
If so please keep me in mind I am always looking for some

With the SAAMI reamer set for the 180gr bullet throat, you'll want to probably get a special reamer if you want to shoot the 140gr Berger VLD.

Neither my 284Win (SAAMI spec reamer) nor my 7mm Weatherby Magnum shoot the 140gr VLD accurately due to the jump.

If you want a lower weight Berger, the 150gr Classic Hunter works well.

The 140gr NBT worked well in my 7mm Rem Mag at 30 yards.

The 150gr ABLR, not so much.

A gunsmith could order a reamer set up for 140's, then charge for custom changes per customer's order. In doing this, he could maximize investment in the reamer. Problem is, most want to shoot 180g+.
So what you’re saying is you're stuck with copper for the 140 class bullets in the 7prc. Unless you short throat it, which defeats the purpose of the 7prc....in turn basically making it a saami 7RM but slower and with less powder....

Typical cup and core 7mm 140s like to be seated near if not barely touching the lands, such as a 140g Nosler ballistic tip, accubond, Berger vld hunting, Sierra tipped game king. So, if you order a reamer ground with shorter freebore and order a 7mm Unithroater , you could custom throat for the heavier longer bullets.

Many of us have been using this method for decades. When the intersection of the bullet shank/boat tail, sits around .020 above the shoulder neck junction, you get the accuracy that is on par for a benchrest rifle.

The accuracy of the 140s at 3200 fps+ at 600 yards can be amazing, and they flatten deer at that distance. However, hunting in the open Plains `where a calm wind is 15 mph, you need all the B.C. you can get. I also shoot 162,168, and 175s in my 7mm's.

Southpa, hope this makes sense to you now.

The current trend is to order the fastest twist, and shoot the heaviest bullet even for short range, even for 300 and under-yard hunting.

I've got a SAMMI spec (AW) chamber in my 7PRC. I have been loading 162gr ELD-M bullets .015" off the rifling without issue. I'm running them at 3,160fps with H4831. Accuracy is well below .5moa at 400yds. I'll probably use this load for whitetails unless I manage to get the 180 Bergers to shoot tighter. For whatever reason, my rifle isn't partial to the Berger 175 Elite Hunter that I intended to use.

Varmint Hunter, trust me, you are good to go with the 162s!!! In Spades! Two friends went to Africa with the 162 SST loaded at 3150 and they each got 6 Plains game including eland and kudu, all 12 animals dead in their tracks!

I'm pretty sure I fully understand it. I'm pretty sure you're basically saying what I said. The 140 bergers are too short to run in a saami length 7prc. I don't understand why you'd order a short throated reamer to run berger 140s but then use a unithroater to then run heavies.
If you're going to run a short throated 7prc what's the point? Why not just chamber in a 7RM with more case capacity and a reamer that most any smith carries...

Last edited:
...I've used the 140 gr Nosler Partition out of my 7mm mag for 5 decades..no animal I hit survived from 25 yds to 500, guess that stands the test of time and reliability.

Varmint Hunter, trust me, you are good to go with the 162s!!! In Spades! Two friends went to Africa with the 162 SST loaded at 3150 and they each got 6 Plains game including eland and kudu, all 12 animals dead in their tracks!

I've taken quite a few whitetails with the older 162gr A-Max from a 7STW. A bit of overkill on a whitetail but incapacity was usually instant.

I've taken quite a few whitetails with the older 162gr A-Max from a 7STW. A bit of overkill on a whitetail but incapacity was usually instant.
I am really excited to see what my new 7stw will do this fall with the whitetails.
I am going to use the same 140g Nosler CT’s that I am running in my 7RM at 3250fps. My STW is pushing them to 3535fps.

Recent Posts