7.62x39 ammo

silvertip-co

When I bought my ar47/br15 7.62x39 last year I bought a bunch of Tula 123 fmj ammo after I got the gun. Later I saw my local dealer had a box of Hornady SST 7.62x39 that I thought would make a good hunting round. I also want try anybody's 123 HP ammo as a comparison some day. Today I shot the Tula and the Hornady on side by side targets at the 100y range. Odd thing was with both ammos I had a 3 shots 'touching' group on ea target. And while the Hornady ammo did make a smaller overall group, the Tula wasn't very far behind. Ive probably only ran about 200 rds thru this rifle total to date but the groups seem to get smaller each time I go to the range so maybe its wearing in. Since its my very first AR I'm kinda like a kid with his first bb gun or first .22. I sure do like the thing not knowing much about it. Good fun tho

I have a little Ruger Hawkeye 77 compact rifle. it's got a 2-7x Leupold on it and the kids shoot it, so all I can really say is it meets their expectations.

Next month one of them will shoot a hog with, and I can let you know a bit more terminal performance. I expect this to be under 100 yards, and he has demonstrated on game targets it's good enough for that.

Just a little bit of info from my experience about Wolf ammo. The HP bullets are a flip of the coin if they expand at all. Sometimes they do and sometimes they act like a FMJ. The Wolf soft point is a MUCH better hunting bullet. Never had one to NOT expand. If you hand load 29 grs H322 and a Hornady 123 gr soft point bullet is very accurate and is a GREAT deer bullet.

From what I could tell there are two main plants that make the Russian steel cased ammo, Tula and Barnaul. The Barnaul seems to be the higher quality, and makes some Wolf, the Silver, Brown and Golden Bear ammo, and some others. Tula is obviously made at Tula, but so is some Wolf and others. I shot a deer with an AK this year, facing me neck shot and it was a smallish doe. Brown Bear HP ammo, you could see it had started to expand or tumble already though. I am comfortable with it as a short range deer round.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.