6x47L Short barrel advice

trucraft

I going to rebarrel my trusty Tikka .243 into a 6x47 Lapua shortly and would like a little advice from you guys please.
Most of what I have read is about barrels lengths from 24 - 30.

The gun will be my go-to varmint,deer & gong rifle.
I want this to be capable and balenced in the woods shooting off hand close up as well as max 600yrds. I am going with a Border LV at 20 inches or less. It will be used with a sound mod.
I have been thinking i would like to use bullets from 87grn vld to 105 Amax
I know the 87grn have a short bearing surface so i may need a short throat and therefor not ideal for the 105's?
How are the 87grn vlds on deer, prong horn size?
I don't want to muck about with two loads so would like to have a do it all load that shoots sweet.

I have H4350, N160, N560 and H1000 to hand but wondering if these may be a little slow.
Any info on ;
Best bullets and weight range?
Best powder for bullet and barrel length?
Twist rate?
What sort of velocity can I expect?

Would be amazing.
Thanx,
Trucraft

How are the 87grn vlds on deer, prong horn size?
Best bullets and weight range?
Best powder for bullet and barrel length?
Twist rate?
What sort of velocity can I expect?
IIWM and I've already been thinking about putting the 6x47L on the list of things to build.

87vld: I can't speak for the 87vld as I have not tried it.

Bullets and weights: I shoot CustomBR, Barnes, CEB, Hornady and Berger. Unless Plinkers then what ever is at hand. IIWM for one load to hunt Roe and Red Deer, Muntjack, paper and gongs to 1000meters, the Berger 95 Hunting VLD beckons.

Powder: Reloader 17. Does it go by Echo 17 where you live? Yup temperature sensitivity is real but you pays you money and you takes you choices. H4350 Might not be "best" but it will get you decent velocity.

Barrel Length: I think a 20" LV profile would be great. Yeah a 22 or longer could be an option but stiff, short LV profile certainly has no detractors other than length.

Twist: 8tw, IMO going faster (lower number) so you can shoot 115DTAC is not required. Torque is real.

The best I can figure with a 20" barrel is that you will send that 95vld between 2750 and 3050fps. Could go faster of hot loaded. Plenty to make 1000m and beyond. 1000lb of energy at 400m at the low end. Standard is to add 25fps for each inch added.

I hope this helps.

Inside or outside M25?

Thanx Seaman.
I had also thought the 96grn classic hunters might be a good middle ground and less sensitive than the vld's.
I will have a look at rl17 also labeled as Echo17, have tended to stay clear of them to date.

I shall only be taking the odd roe and fallow at moderate ranges. I have a heavy 7mm saum for big stuff.

15min south of M25.

I'm running 2950 with JLK 105's out my 18" XP-100 pistol with 4350.

Thats impressive. I am doing exactly what your doing but sticking with a 6.5x47. Already have a 30" bench 6.5x47 lapua and love that caliber! Now I want something more suited for hunting and with a can on it. Im looking at 20" as well with a yankee hill can. Hoping/planning for 130's at 2700 to 2800

I agree with Fred that a 1 in 8 twist would be best. I would consider at least a 26" barrel and would choose the 105 Berger match target hybrid as the bullet. You should be able to get close to 3000 fps with that combination using H4350 maybe more with RL-17. The 95 classic hunter may go a bit faster but the 105 hybrid with its superior BC of .546 is a much better choice.

I would also choose a reamer carefully. I am a firm believer reading all I can on what others are doing then consult a reamer maker for my needs. Because you are going to use Lapua brass you have the choice of not bothering to turn the necks they are that good.

Here is a link worth reading. Beginski's New 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua

I used the 105 Berger match target hybrid on a coues whitetail deer last year. Shot was 509 yds. Used my 6mm-284. Impact velocity was approx. 2765 fps. Got a 1 1/2" dia exit. I wouldn't hesitate to use this bullet again on deer or antelope.

I realize you cannot get that type of velocity with a 6mm x 47L but I would think you should be able to use it out to 500 yds or so with excellent results. Velocity at 500 yds is in the 2200 fps/2400 fps range depending on elevation and other conditions.

When you do get this done and you take a few animals please post results here. I am considering making another smaller 6mm and this chambering his high on my list.

That's a very fast 18"s of barrel.
Is that a 1 in 8 twist?
How mush powder are you using to send the jlk's at that speed?

Yes 1 in 8 twist. Running 41.5 H1000 with a CCI 450. My buddy is running the same load in his just a hair faster. Verified through an Oehler as well as on targets to 1100 yards

Yes 1 in 8 twist. Running 41.5 H1000 with a CCI 450. My buddy is running the same load in his just a hair faster. Verified through an Oehler as well as on targets to 1100 yards

Wow thats cool. It is a pretty stout load so will see if I can get close.
I'm happy if I can get close to 2950fps out of a 20" barrel.

Thanx AZshooter, good advice.
I wonder how the hybrids would be on foxes and smaller varmints?
My smith has a long and a short reamer but can't remember if it's a tight throat.
Will up date this once my load testing starts.

I'm running 2950 with JLK 105's out my 18" XP-100 pistol with 4350.

Originally Posted by CPGfan
Yes 1 in 8 twist. Running 41.5 H1000 with a CCI 450. My buddy is running the same load in his just a hair faster. Verified through an Oehler as well as on targets to 1100 yards"

I'm confused, are you using 41.5gns of H1000 or H4350?

My stalking rifle is a 6.5x47 Lapua custom lightweight build on a SST Rem Model 7 with 20" fluted 1 in 8 twist Kreiger. Rifle is in a McMillan Hunters edge stock, topped with a B square rail, Nightforce alloy rings and Nightforce 2.5 - 10 compact and Jewel trigger. All up weight 6.5 pounds, it shoots under half MOA and has proved more than adequate on red and fallow out to 400m so far, frankly haven't had any need to test it at further range. I note that you seem to be looking at light bullets, which I think is a mistake, might as well stick with the 243 if you go that way, you'll loose all the advantage of being able to use the heavier more efficient pills like the 123 & 140 grain Amax, which have proved to be excellent killers and superbly accurate at all ranges tested so far on deer (and anything else that needed to be despatched).

In the 20" inch barrel, with non brass wrecking loads, V runs at 2750 for the 123 and 2650 for the 140, trajectory allows you to aim straight at anything between 0 and 250m and still be within 2.5" rise or fall. With the NF mildot reticle this is a bullet flight path of just under the first mildot above X hairs @ 100yds, just above the X hair at 200, just above the first mildot under the X hair at 300.

You could also re barrel your Tikka with a 1 in 8 twist 24" and long throat it so you can seat a 105 grn Amax (or other suitable LD pill) with the start of the boat tail at the base of the neck about 2.85 - 2.95" OA, which allows for a full case of ADI 2217, and get 3100 + fps (243 AI improved performance without the AI chambering), provided the mag well length on the Tikka allows for the longer overall cartridge. This works superbly in my custom Weatherby MkV lightweight (which has a long enough mag well) and gives slightly better terminal ballistics to the 6.5x47 with any bullet in a lightweight stalker, and an even flatter trajectory. This setup lets you get the best out of your handloads and you can use any factory ammo if you need to. Note, in my experience a standard Rem short action mag well is NOT long enough to allow reliable feeding for this 243 load setup when cartridge OA length exceeds 2.8"

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.