6x47L, 6Dash or 6BR

The options are more of a smaller than AR10 platform for varmints, hogs and other bothersome creatures to use mainly sierra 90fmj's (discontinued). If it becomes (or has been) a feeding issue, then it's a mag problem (in most cases). Being a fatter case for 15's I'm wanting a single ramp extension as it's a straight shot. All of my short mag AR10's have this feature.

A 6 Dasher sounds perfect for that sort of work.

I didn't have any feeding issues with the 6.5 BRX the very similar 270 AR using the notched PRI 6.8 SPC mags that Cavity Back Bullets sells. I actually thought feeding would be the biggest issue with that project, but they both ran 100% once the gas block was properly adjusted.

A 6 Dasher sounds perfect for that sort of work.

I didn't have any feeding issues with the 6.5 BRX the very similar 270 AR using the notched PRI 6.8 SPC mags that Cavity Back Bullets sells. I actually thought feeding would be the biggest issue with that project, but they both ran 100% once the gas block was properly adjusted.
gun specs? more like barrel length, twist, gas system length? I have 6.8spc also and maybe some pri mags too? need to check........btw cartridge info for 270ar please?

gun specs? more like barrel length, twist, gas system length? I have 6.8spc also and maybe some pri mags too? need to check........btw cartridge info for 270ar please?
It’s been a few years so I could be off on some of my specs:

- 18” 1-8” twist barrel from AR Performance
- Rifle length gas system
- adjustable gas block
- H2 buffer

The 270 AR was a cut down 6.5x47 Lapua case. By the time you were done, it was essentially a 270 Dasher, but with a slightly longer case length. I was shooting the 135gr SMK in the middle 2799-2750 fps range I think.

I should still have at least 1 case tucked away in my collection out in the garage. I’ll dig it out and get a picture next to a few more common rounds for you.

It's been a few years so I could be off on some of my specs:

- 18" 1-8" twist barrel from AR Performance
- Rifle length gas system
- adjustable gas block
- H2 buffer

The 270 AR was a cut down 6.5x47 Lapua case. By the time you were done, it was essentially a 270 Dasher, but with a slightly longer case length. I was shooting the 135gr SMK in the middle 2799-2750 fps range I think.

I should still have at least 1 case tucked away in my collection out in the garage. I'll dig it out and get a picture next to a few more common rounds for you.
Sounds like it would've been easier to neck down a 30AR?

Sounds like it would've been easier to neck down a 30AR?
If I were doing it now, I'd use 6 GT brass as a starting point. It's pretty easy to find and it's really good quality. Not that the 6.5x47 Lapua brass was hard to get or bad quality, but the 6.5x47 cases had to be formed, then inside neck reamed and/or outside turned. The GT case shouldn't need that.

Left to right in the picture:
6.5 Grendel, 6mm BR, 6.5 BRX, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua, 270 AR, 270 AR loaded with a 135 SMK

The 270 AR cases in that picture were formed from 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I switched to the 6.5x47 Lapua cases so I could use small rifle primers and Lapua brass, which weren’t available for the Creedmoor at that time.

Attachments

• IMG_8232.jpeg
    IMG_8232.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 14
If I were doing it now, I'd use 6 GT brass as a starting point. It's pretty easy to find and it's really good quality. Not that the 6.5x47 Lapua brass was hard to get or bad quality, but the 6.5x47 cases had to be formed, then inside neck reamed and/or outside turned. The GT case shouldn't need that.

Left to right in the picture:
6.5 Grendel, 6mm BR, 6.5 BRX, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua, 270 AR, 270 AR loaded with a 135 SMK

The 270 AR cases in that picture were formed from 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I switched to the 6.5x47 Lapua cases so I could use small rifle primers and Lapua brass, which weren't available for the Creedmoor at that time.
i wish i had that much time to anneal and turn.........i barely get time to reload (haven't in 2 years). if they (neurosurgeons) get my neck fixed, then i'd be gtg.

Recent Posts