6mm/284 or 6.5/284?

Jim Hundley

I have a Md.700 short action on hand and want to have a long range rifle built.I will use it for targets and deer hunting.My 'smith suggested having a 6-.284 built,but most of what I have seen on the forums suggest a 6.5-.284.Would someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of these two?
Thank you,
Jimmy

Since you are thinking hunting, go 6.5-284. Heavier bullets that are way more effective on game at distance. Load 142gr MK or 140gr SST/Amax and have at it. The 139gr Lapua are well regarded but have not personally launched them so can't say.

If you want a lighter bullet for the 6.5, there are plenty in the 105 to 120gr range that will work just great.

No issue shooting at LR and better in the wind.

Barrel life should be a bit longer too.

Jerry

You may have some problems with either cartridge in the Rem "short" action when using heavy (long) bullets unless you intend on using it as a single shot.

For a repeater, a 260Rem (6.5-.308) or 6.5x55 may be a better choice.

VH, he also may have trouble with a swede 6,5x55 in a short action.....case length is the same as in the 6,5-284 ( well, almost identical).

Lots of if's with these two....the 6mm is a little cheaper to shoot as far as bullet costs, and you can shoot some lightweight bullets if your twist is slow enough at blistering velocitie,s if that's your game..the 6.5 is extremely accurate at super long ranges...both require some handloading skills at a level above novice, you need to neck turn..neither is easy on barrel life, lots of powder for a small hole...why don't you just settle on a .260 Rem or 260 AI..on and on this could go..they both have their place in the shooting world for sure..it all depends what you want to put into it..if you hate handloading and trimming and turning don't bother with either..you need lots of time to mess with the fancy little screamers..how about a .243 AI or .260 AI or even the regular versions..the difference is only a hundred or two FPS..the animals will never even notice that little of a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.