608 Yard Colorado Bull 6.5 CM 123 Absolute Hammer

In some circles the 30 Sherman is not big enough... Really comes down to bullet performance rather than the caliber or cartridge. Poor bullet performance from a "big" cartridge, still ends up badly.

Am I taking my Creed out for 600y elk hunting? Not the gun I am pulling out of the safe. Was this shot made inside of pre-determined limits? Yes. Did the bullet perform properly, as advertised? Yes. Congrats to the hunter on a great job.

Two things are very obvious to me at this point in my career.

1) The amount of experience people need to have to consider their opinion worthwhile, is incomprehensibly low.
2) No one feels the need to have the real world truth align with their opinions anymore, which is why they place no value on experience.

While I'd never go elk hunting with a 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd also never make a comment on how it works without trying it. I do know there are a ton of elk killed every year with them. I also know that modern components are changing the real capabilities of many cartridges. The old .243win takes lots of elk each year also, regardless of what I think about it.

The fact that folks can't have the common decency to start their OWN new thread to discuss the matter, instead of crapping up a trophy share thread... is despicable. I see @snox801 trying to defend against who only knows, but I'm reminded of why they are on my ignore list by reading his responses. There's a place to discuss it. Then there's a place to keep your mouths shut and celebrate the success of another.

Congrats to the shooter and his son on a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

1) The amount of experience people need to have to consider their opinion worthwhile, is incomprehensibly low.
2) No one feels the need to have the real world truth align with their opinions anymore, which is why they place no value on experience.

While I'd never go elk hunting with a 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd also never make a comment on how it works without trying it. I do know there are a ton of elk killed every year with them. I also know that modern components are changing the real capabilities of many cartridges. The old .243win takes lots of elk each year also, regardless of what I think about it.

The fact that folks can't have the common decency to start their OWN new thread to discuss the matter, instead of crapping up a trophy share thread... is despicable. I see @snox801 trying to defend against who only knows, but I'm reminded of why they are on my ignore list by reading his responses. There's a place to discuss it. Then there's a place to keep your mouths shut and celebrate the success of another.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I almost type up something of the same meaning but just deleted it. But couldn't have said it better myself.

Again, congrats to the shooter. That bull has some character.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Despicable huh? Maybe you need to take a step back and relax if these types of reaction cause you hatred and contempt.

Attachments

• CB5E0054-6ED4-402D-9B2A-923727EA3729.png
    CB5E0054-6ED4-402D-9B2A-923727EA3729.png
    91 KB · Views: 73
Here is what I agree with. Probably we all can shoot a lighter less recoiling round much better and handle it much better than say a larger high recoiling magnum and we all know when you talk around elk circles the CM had no love. For me I say take what you feel comfortable with each man to his own. If you know you limitation for you bullet/velocity/ftlbs of energy and you are comfortable with doing so let her rip. You're always going to have some critics of what you use. Looks like a really nice elk. Congratulations on the kill. As for me I would have did the same. I have a CM I will be working up a 142ABLR for. Some day I may find myself in the same spot with a large deer or elk at some longer range that I would prefer but I will be making the same decision. Steady on the rest and put the bullet in the crease. I do have all other sorts of guns to use but next year the CM will be going out to do the work. This year it was the 7mm-08. At some point I'll circle back to the 300RUM.

Awesome bull! Perfect shot! Put a good size hole thru vitals and they die. EVERYONE will shoot a lighter recoiling rifle better than a harder one...EVERYONE. Placement is EVERYTHING and bullets matter far more than headstamps. Nice work. Go to a 140 ELDm and kill the next one at 800.

First he didn't hit the gong once. He spent a good amount of time shooting once at the ranch also. He had a full week before his hunt. So he shot out past that but was able to consistently hit the 6" at 600 with no
Misses.
Second I know it's on the lower end but it seems that the min FPS is a pretty good judge based on This and several other times. He was able to place it exactly where it needed to be and it had a full pass. I'd say that it was fine. Best for situation no of course not but when that's all he had in that situation is take it.
Again he is the type of guy that if he didn't feel very confident he could keep off the shoulder he would not have taken it.
He will indeed have a 30 Sherman next year.
This wasn't to be snarky either I do agree big is better especially if any wind is present. Just wanted to make sure the fact where out. Because I 100 percent agree hitting a gong 1-2 times is not ok.
He left with a bunch of ammo just so he could practice and double check everything at given elevation and at farther distance
How much ya wanna bet a .223 with a hood bullet in that same exact spot would have killed that elk DEAD! Whoops!!! Awesome bull awesome shot and in my honest opinion who the heck cares what all the pros think I still use way too small of cartridges on deer!