6 gt and Hawkins SA mag

284 Win.

Is there anything I need to do special with this set up? The round seams to want to sit low in the back of the magazine.
A Leaphart

Is there anything I need to do special with this set up? The round seams to want to sit low in the back of the magazine.
A Leaphart
One of the first calibers we ever ran out of the SA Hunter was a GT. You should be fine as is. If you feel like your magazine is sitting too low, it may be your pillar height. Best to test it out for feeding when you have everything together.

I got a MDT mag in there now and it works fine. If I put three round in the Hawkins mag the first round feed great. The second round is sitting in the mag in a ramp position. Base down bullet tip pointing up. The base is low- low. At the time I was guessing the feed lips need to be more back of the mag. MDT lips are. If I get the case sitting more center of the Hawkins mag it feeds good but the hump on the follow has it sitting to the back. Maybe I'm missing something.

I got a MDT mag in there now and it works fine. If I put three round in the Hawkins mag the first round feed great. The second round is sitting in the mag in a ramp position. Base down bullet tip pointing up. The base is low- low. At the time I was guessing the feed lips need to be more back of the mag. MDT lips are. If I get the case sitting more center of the Hawkins mag it feeds good but the hump on the follow has it sitting to the back. Maybe I'm missing something.
With Billet machined magazines you need to have correct pillar height on your stock. You can get away with more on steel magazines. Are you using a Hawkins Hunter DBM and have you used the pillars that were included with it?

If the follower is hanging up inside of the magazine, that is a different issue. The followers are actually machined pieces as well, but we've had one or two folks say they had a follower hanging up.

I am using the Pillars that came with the Hunter DBM. I'll check and see how close the bolt is to the mag feed lips.

Recent Posts