6 Dasher

Flybuster

Here's my new F-Class/Varminter/600-1000 BR HV-Gun/Rock buster

Stocks made by Robertson Composite, Barrel is a Broughton, action is a Bat 3-Lug. I have a Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50. I am extremely happy with how it turned out and so far how it shoots.
100_0188.jpg

100_0189.jpg

Shooting a white spot (chuckar crap) on a rock face at 905, kept drilling it.
Then I sighted in to shoot a 15-20" rock at 1022 yards, the wind was blowing the opposite direction up on the hill.
100_0191.jpg

Busting some dirt, trying to hit a 900+ rock, got it on my last fireforming load :)
100_0194.jpg

So far these are the only shots on paper, first shots out of the gun were in the upper right orange, gotta love that.
100_0195.jpg

Thanks for the compliment.

I am planning on using this rifle for a local competition in a couple of weeks. It's called the T.V. shoot. A bunch of farmers and locals get together in Ione, Oregon and try to hit a T.V. sized steel plate (27") with a cold bore shot at 1030 yards.

Plus a BBQ which is always delicious!

Thank you Sir, will do!

P.S. I like the way you painted your .243, the color would blend in perfect around here and the pattern is just cool. :)

Some slow times at work allowed me to do some more load development.
I tested a load that showed great potential at 100 yards, a 105 Berger VLD over 33 grains of RE-15 and of course a 450 Small mag primer. The first group on paper at 1000 yards, was 6". Mostly horizontal grouping.
100_0197.jpg

My second group was also the same load.
But the jerk (me) behind the trigger messed up a beautiful group......DOH!!!
TgtGfx.jpg

Last edited:
I sighted in on the 8" - 1220 yard gong. I used a load I have never tested on paper, a 105 A-Max over 33 grains of Varget. After guessing what the drop would be, I was only 2.5 IPHY off.
100_0198.jpg

Another long range shooter showed up and I let him shoot my rifle, we ended up hitting 5 times. I am simply amazed at this rifle, at this point.

100_0196.jpg

Thanks for taking time to look.

Very nice! That pistol grip hanging down would give me fits, but the rest of the gun looks pretty sweet.

What kind of velocities are you getting from your RE-15 & Varget loads?

Thanks,

Monte

Beautius! I am currently awaiting my Dasher from the gunsmith and am getting excited looking here at the capabilities of the round. I may contact you once I recieve mine to see how you fireformed, etc.

Again, nice rig!

1kstr

Hey guys, Thanks. I am really anxious to cronograph these two loads. The only load I have cronographed were my fireforming loads so far. My FF load shoots at 2963fps, which is a 108 Berger over 32 grains of H-4895. This load shows pressure on some cases, and I will definetly back down on the powder.

I am supposed to be getting a new CED M2 from Sinclairs, if they ever get them back in stock.

I have been using the false shoulder fire-forming method. So far no lost cases. I just take a .25 caliber K&M expander and run it through a 6br case. Then neck it down just enough to chamber the round, giving me a "crush fit" in the chamber.

Yeah Monte, that "knot" on the stock will definetly smack your rear bag if you don't set up right. I think it adds character, what do you think?? Friends and family ask me "why green" , It's my favorite color.:D

Yeah Monte, that "knot" on the stock will definetly smack your rear bag if you don't set up right. I think it adds character, what do you think??

I tend to be a bag-squeezer; I shoot from a bipod a lot and my elevation control works like this: extra coarse adjustment - bipod legs, coarse adjustment, rear bag position, and fine adjustment squeezing the bag. Too many times I've had the pistol grip on a stock come back in recoil, hit my hand, and lord only knows where *that* shot is going to wind up. Haven't had it land on the next target over... yet.

I like the design in general; anything w/ a full pistol grip where I don't have to scrunch up my hand to keep it on the stock gets brownie points no matter what! :D

Gotcha, I tried shooting it prone at 600 yards yesterday. I know getting my hand in between the bag and the "water spout" as my aunt calls it..lol ..Was a tight squeeze, but my hands are small..

I ripped off 8 shots at 600 yards. I got a 4" group with the Lapua Scenars and H-4895. Mostly horizontal grouping.

How's your Dasher project coming along?

I made the mistake of taking it to a local gunsmith for bedding; trying to patronize the local guys when I can. First gun he did for me looked and shot great. Second one (Savage in an A5L) looked like crap, and had a lot of material/technical problems. Had a long talk with him about this one needing to be 'right' as its for my wife to shoot F-Class with. It wasn't.

It might shoot; I need to do a little stock work and then get after the fire-forming. But I will be redoing the bedding myself sooner or later because it just grinds on me knowing that the bedding looks the way it is. Lesson learned.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.