6.8 Western

You know it's funny, I don't know very many people that own, let alone shoot, 35 caliber rifles of any kind, but the ones that do pretty much unanimously attribute a sort of magic to their killing power, in a way I don't see attributed to the .33 and .37 bores on either side. It's probably nothing, but I find it very interesting nonetheless.
I own and shoot a bunch of 35 caliber ammo in 358 Win in AR and bolt 350 Rem mag....also use the 338 win mag. The 35 cal is very versatile in that you can shoot cheap pistol bullets purchased in 500 or 1000 lots for small game or plinking. I utilize 9mm 147 gr pistol bullets, 350 legend bullets to the normal .358 dia 180 gr to the 310 gr Woodleigh weld core, shot in the 350 Mag. 20" modified model 7 to feed 2.910" cartridges...250 gr at 2626 fps, or 200 gr Barns at 2940 fps, or the 280gr Swift at 2450 fps, for the big stuff plus the 310 gr weldcore...there used to be solids available for dangerous game, makes the 350 Mag a personal favorite for hunting, it's lighter than the 338 to carry and fast on moving targets, and less recoil, now that it has a brake. The 350 Rigby was a favorite with African professionals on thin skined game like lions, leopards, and larger antelope, and Zebra, in the last century.

It's only a new cartridge because of heavier bullets! I fell into the whornady trap starting with the 6.5creed and only got a 6.5prc for an AR. Necking up the 6.5 to 6.8 for an AR would be good. Nothing wrong with the 270wsm or necking down a 7saum to 6.8. Forget all the cartridges per caliber when dealing with a faster twist or desired actions. Get the action YOU want, barrel specs to match and chamber in whatever YOU decide! Your gun your way! It's that easy!