6.8 Sherwood

Christopher Hanes

So who has the scoop on this cartridge? Rumor has it, that it will be the next cartridge used by Soldiers.

From what little I can gather, it has more internal capacity than the 7.62x51 but still uses a standard 7.62x51 bolt. Could this thing be close to 270 WSM performance?

I did a search and didn't find any other articles on this, so figured I'd kick it off.

Thanks

CH

Well, since it's a proprietary cartridge being submitted to the mil I dou t you'll see much until testing is done.

The mill is looking for a new .277 cartridge that can shoot 135 grain at 3000 fps--- this is their submission from my understanding -
Its basicly a blown out, blown forward, necked down 308 (or like I said a 270 redding) what we dont know is what pressures they are operating it at. Performance would be slightly better than a 270 Redding is my guess. It's not a saami spec cartridge- they are submitting it for testing so if accepted it would be NATO spec most likely. I'm sure rumors will come out but until testing is done you'll probably just have to wait

Last edited:
n
note they say they are working on a commercially available round also-- its a 6.8-284-- issue will be the platform, it wont be avail to the public as its electronically fired, but a standard mechanical trigger version might become available-- but its an AR-15 style platform but has the 308 bolt head size so patent issues come into play (and bolt/lug strength, but i'm sure if its being submitted and tested for the MIL then they have that part figured out)

if you zoom in on the pic, the upper appears to be an aero-precision (see the large A on the upper receiver) "ar-10" sized upper, hence the 9 pound unloaded weight -- not sure what the coal is on the 6.8 sherwood but I'm guessing its going to be similar to the 2.8" of the 308 making this an "ar-10" sized chassis, but it verywell could be a "mid-sized" chassis somewhere between the ar15 and ar10 as this has been in the works for some time now

Last edited:
yeah, the electric ignition isn't a new thing, it's just super uncommon is all. However, Remington still sells electric primers, so it's possible. As for OAL, going out on the speculative limb here, I assume it will be 2.810 to fit existing magazines. 25 round MagPul mags will probably become 20 rounders, so no big deal. Even with contract custom blended powder, a 135 grain bullet at 3000 fps will be a HOT load in a 16" barrel and very warm in an 18". It will only be possible to safely duplicate the velocities with 20" or longer using compressed loads of slow powders, like the RL-26 unicorn pixie dust. Of course, I had to estimate the internal volume and could be way off, I did err on the short side purposefully. We shall see soon enough, but really, I just don't see this giving the long range armor penetration they are looking for. If it does, I can see the Russians ditching the heavy armor to regain mobility.

yeah, the electric ignition isn't a new thing, it's just super uncommon is all. However, Remington still sells electric primers, so it's possible. As for OAL, going out on the speculative limb here, I assume it will be 2.810 to fit existing magazines. 25 round MagPul mags will probably become 20 rounders, so no big deal. Even with contract custom blended powder, a 135 grain bullet at 3000 fps will be a HOT load in a 16" barrel and very warm in an 18". It will only be possible to safely duplicate the velocities with 20" or longer using compressed loads of slow powders, like the RL-26 unicorn pixie dust. Of course, I had to estimate the internal volume and could be way off, I did err on the short side purposefully. We shall see soon enough, but really, I just don't see this giving the long range armor penetration they are looking for. If it does, I can see the Russians ditching the heavy armor to regain mobility.
I do t think they are electronically fired primers, I think it's an electronic firing mechanism--- the trigger is not mechanically connected to the hammer --- this has been done In other rifles--- that way it is programmable for semi auto, full auto, or multi round burst--- it's also possible to connect the trigger mechanism to the optics for a "tracking" firing solution from a computer like the "tracking point rifle system"

Atf doesnt like electronic triggers for civilians even in semi auto form as you can "hack" the electronics and make them full auto or burst--- I think civilians can buy a tracking point rifle but have to go through a special background chalk iIRC (i could be wrong though) i know the "tracking point" company used to make you go through a bg check and a credit check before they would put you on the "wait list" for a rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts