6.5x284 elk and deer hunting.

Gojuhunter

Looking for a good bullet and barrel combo. I am building a new 6.5x284 for elk and deer hunting. Would like to be able to shoot deer in the 1000 yard range and elk in the 800 yard range. I already have the brass and the reloading equipment for this caliber from past f class shooting. Thanks.

Looking for a good bullet and barrel combo. I am building a new 6.5x284 for elk and deer hunting. Would like to be able to shoot deer in the 1000 yard range and elk in the 800 yard range. I already have the brass and the reloading equipment for this caliber from past f class shooting. Thanks.
I'm in the midst of the same project, actually. As for a barrel, I got a Hart 26" 1-8 5R, and was planning on sending 140 gr VLD's.

Seems to be the combo of choice. What range are you comfortable with this combo?
Still in the process of the build, but I have the same barrel on my 300 RUM but with a 1-10. It's been lights out to 1100yds at the range, and killed a great bull at 786 this past season.
Now, compared to the rum, there is a significant difference in energy between the two, but if you can put the bullet exactly where you want, the determination of the max distance you are comfortable with is entirely up to you.
I will be using my 6.5 Norma more so for deer and antelope. For elk, I just like the extra heat with the rum.

I have a similar caliber, 6.5-06, I'm running 140gr Berger and jlk vld bullets @ 3043fps with re26. I'm on my 2nd barrel so far. Used a bartlein and now a proof. Both are incredibly accurate.

I have a 6.5-284 Norma I had built on a LA 700 for a pack rifle, McMillan Hunter, #3 Bartlein. On an elk hunt, I switched over to a 140 AB and dropped a 6pt bull @ 420 yds, in his tracks. A great hunting cartridge and easy to load for.

156 Berger's would be my first choice. Next I would try 142 LRAB, 143 Edlx, 140 Berger elite, 140 AB. All those bullets will do what you asking if they will shoot in your gun

My 23" #2 Benchmark is shooting the 156 Berger at 2830 fps really accurately. Kind of feel there may be a higher node but I am limiting my distance a bit from yours. That is with 55 gr H1000. Before this, used a 140 vld to kill all manner of stuff. Wanted to try something new. Bears will be up first.

I shoot 6 5x284 with 143 hornady and they are deadly ! I wouldn't hesitate to use it for deer ! Elk are tough and at 800 you will need good shot placement to put one down !

if you don't mind what state have you been hunting elk in?

Ton's of good elk bullets out there, pick one and get in shape and get after it. Are you going guided or diy?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.