6.5 SAUM and N560?

jraulsten

I've always used H1000 but anyone load 140s with N560? How did it compare to H1000 with regards to velocity, accuracy, etc.

I'm pretty good on H1000 now and have the opportunity to trade some for N560. Just wanting to know if it's worth trying.

Pretty sure it's a faster powder and unfortunately every gun I have is a high volume shooter. I can't keep my finger off the trigger 😉

I'm going to give the N560 a try because N565 has been great in the 7SS and N570 was the best load in my 300 PRC.

This is a hunting rifle but I'll probably put 1000 rounds a year through it (or more). Have a buddy with a 1000 yard range on a ranch next to our lease and I just can't stay away. It's even worse now that I'm fully retired. I don't believe in safe queens 😆

560 is a good option for that case capacity. I've used it in a prc from winter through early summer. It's my back up powder to 26. Shoots exact same fps for equal powder charge. In hot temps I back off .2

I've used N560 one time in a NULA 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. This cartridge has a case capacity similar to the 7 SAUM and load data is often similar. I got high velocities with this powder and excellent accuracy. Using Norma data (current data ten years ago when I used it), the published charge weights far exceeded what I could use in my rifle. I don't recall such a discrepancy in almost sixty years of handloading. The many other powders I tried in initial load development with the 7x61 worked as I expected.

Perhaps this was an isolated incident. I won't fault the powder, other components, or the rifle, but if I ever used N560 again in any cartridge, I 'd be extra cautious.

Pretty good comparator here...the make up of N560 has a bit more nitro in it by design than H1000, so in theory velocities should increase. I bought 16 lbs of the 565 to try after my H1000 runs out in my 6.5 GAP 4S

Attachments

• a-vihtavuori-reloading-guide-fk-jagd-handels-gmbh.jpg
    a-vihtavuori-reloading-guide-fk-jagd-handels-gmbh.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 114