6.5 PRC donut in Lapua brass

This piece has not been resized although it has been 4x fired. I is my understanding that when fired the brass "shrinks" down slightly for extraction. If I try to re-chamber said piece of fired brass, the bolt closes very stiffly. I just tried a piece of factory Hornady ammo that had been fired in this chamber and the bolt close just fine. So I'm wondering if I have a die issue?
So you are using a neck bushing die and have not been full length sizing or using a body die?

I'm looking at your picture from my phone but if I'm seeing it correctly it looks like the marks are a little above the web. I'd suggest searching elsewhere on the forum for the PTC clicker problem. If I misinterpreted the photo, it won't hurt for you to be aware of the issue but I don't think it is related to the donut issue.

I'm looking at your picture from my phone but if I'm seeing it correctly it looks like the marks are a little above the web. I'd suggest searching elsewhere on the forum for the PTC clicker problem. If I misinterpreted the photo, it won't hurt for you to be aware of the issue but I don't think it is related to the donut issue.
Rifle was chambered with AW2 reamer

This piece has not been resized although it has been 4x fired. I is my understanding that when fired the brass "shrinks" down slightly for extraction. If I try to re-chamber said piece of fired brass, the bolt closes very stiffly. I just tried a piece of factory Hornady ammo that had been fired in this chamber and the bolt close just fine. So I'm wondering if I have a die issue?
The springback for extraction gets less and less the more times you fire the brass. Its affected by the quality of brass, if you anneal, neck size vs full length size and how many firings. The 1x factory cases wont compare to 4x reloaded cases.
Run your brass thru your FL sizer and it will chamber fine.
Consider annealing each time for longer brass life. Maybe that will also help with any donut.

The springback for extraction gets less and less the more times you fire the brass. Its affected by the quality of brass, if you anneal, neck size vs full length size and how many firings. The 1x factory cases wont compare to 4x reloaded cases.
Run your brass thru your FL sizer and it will chamber fine.
Consider annealing each time for longer brass life. Maybe that will also help with any donut.
I do anneal each time. Since my brass already has a donut is it worth saving?

Full length bushing die
ok you said above this piece has been fired 4 times and not resized? Also read post # 30. The PRC has a known issue where the chamber is not big enough near the web and can cause hard chambering or " clickers" when opening the bolt. Hornady brass is smaller at the web and usually is not a problem. Premium brass is thicker and can be a problem.

I do anneal each time. Since my brass already has a donut is it worth saving?
Yes, especially for Lapua brass.
But I would replace the bushing die for a standard FL die with an ID expander to smooth out that donut inside without having to remove material.

According to me
Good for you
The standard has been 2 thou for a bolt rifle for decades
I don't think an extra .002 in sizing is causing his issue. Plenty of target guys opt for a looser .003 .004 and have no issues and get plenty of case life.

Kyle, I would full length size the brass after every firing. PMA makes some very nice mandrels, run them through the neck after bushing sizing, and this is standard procedure for many of us. The bushing puts a kink in the neck, the mandrel straightens the neck.

Sounds like it is time to contact K&M.

I have many Lapua cases that have been fired 30+ times with no doughnut, but they are not this caliber. I wonder if you have been annealing too far down into the shoulder? I am guessing, of course. Doughnuts after 4 firings....hummm.....? Kyle, it should not be just you having this problem in this caliber. The question is, did you form the 6.5 PRC from 7 PRC, which would explain the problem?

Recent Posts