6.5-06 vs. 6.5-284

I know this is a very old post, but is the 6.5-06 AI still a better choice than the 6.5x284 with the powder choices? Also, what is the barrel life between the two?

If I would choose a high performance 6,5 today I'd stick to the superb 6,5x63 Messner Mag. with its superior performance. In the described case I would go for the good old, well-proven and high-powered 6,5 - 06, known as an almost magnum. If more power is requested what I doubt for my part, the OP could go Imp.

Have you looked into a 6.5 Sherman? Similar to a Gibbs. Mine shoots 140 Bergers at 3329 fps with a 28" Brux barrel.

I have not..... I want a 6.5 that is not hard to load for, but is much faster than the two 260's I own. I do not want to turn necks or anything complex. Fire forming is ok, but I would like to keep the reloading process simple. Looking hard at the 6.5-06 AI vs 6.5x284. I read all the above listed data, but being it's old, I was wondering if anything has changed. Everyone seems to like the 6.5 SAUM, but I do not want to do all that brass prep work. They say SAUM brass is around the corner, but that could be a long time.

I own a 7mm mag shooting 168 & 180 VLD's, but just want something between the 260 and 7mm for LR antelope and deer.

The 6.5 Sherman is not to bad to fire form, but a bit more difficult than the AI. I got the no turn reamer from Rich. The Sherman has very impressive performance. But if you want just a bit more than a 260 the 6.5-06 AI would do it.

Capt Academy,

They say SAUM brass is around the corner, but that could be a long time.
That depends on your interpretation of thee term 'long time'.

6,5 SAUM brass should be ready by the end of this summer or early fall at the latest. This brass will only require the standard preparation for reloading, nothing that you aren't already used to doing. However, if you can't wait for this to happen...

I suggest that the 6,5 AI is the cartridge to go with as opposed to the others. The fireforming method of brass prep is easy and straight forward. There is a ton of information regarding accuracy loads so the only drawback is getting dies.

The 6,5 AI and the 6,5 SAUM basically have the same case capacity and load with the same powders yielding very similar performance when the same bullet is used for comparison.

Regards.

So what is a good average velocity for a 264 win mag. I like the ideal of the 6.5-06 improved but using the 264 win mag with the 140 berger shouldn't you be able to get 3200fps pretty easy and have a accurate load also or is the 6.5-06 impoved superior to the 264 win mag. Reason being is I thought my 6.5-284 norma would be a little faster than what it is. Its running about 2850fps. I was hoping to get 3000 out of it but best I seen so far with out really pressuring the brass is 2850. I have done the retumbo load and driven to 2940 but the load was not as accurate. I've been thinking about changing up also. The 6.5-284 is on a long action already and I could probably get a smith to screw on another barrel and head space it. I think it would be a pretty easy swap to the 6.5-06 improved for me. Its a savage 116 long action. I'm not sure if the mag will fit the 264wm and I'm pretty sure I have to change out the bolt face as well.

So what is a good average velocity for a 264 win mag. I like the ideal of the 6.5-06 improved but using the 264 win mag with the 140 berger shouldn't you be able to get 3200fps pretty easy and have a accurate load also or is the 6.5-06 impoved superior to the 264 win mag. Reason being is I thought my 6.5-284 norma would be a little faster than what it is. Its running about 2850fps. I was hoping to get 3000 out of it but best I seen so far with out really pressuring the brass is 2850. I have done the retumbo load and driven to 2940 but the load was not as accurate. I've been thinking about changing up also. The 6.5-284 is on a long action already and I could probably get a smith to screw on another barrel and head space it. I think it would be a pretty easy swap to the 6.5-06 improved for me. Its a savage 116 long action. I'm not sure if the mag will fit the 264wm and I'm pretty sure I have to change out the bolt face as well.

im running 58.5 grains of retumbo to get my 3022 with zero signs of pressure

The Sherman will run with the 264 WM. 140 Bergers at 3300+ out of my 28" barrel with N570.

This load was MAX in my rifle. Primers were fairly flat. Never blew one out with this load. They did have slight ejector marks. I used my first brass for about 4-5 firings. No idea what pressure is running at. Other guys are getting close to 3300 fps with R33 and R26. They were using 26" barrels I believe, So it is possible. I have since dropped my load down to 63 gr of N570. Can't remember my speed off hand but it is in the upp 3200 fps. This load shows no pressure in my rifle with 140 Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts