6.5-06 Ackley Improved for long range?

Wallowa Hunter

First off hello all.. Great forum!!!

I received a an unfinished rifle from my aunt a few years ago. My uncle started building it, but never had the chance to finish. I have since finished the stock work and installed a new trigger.

It is built on a 03 action. Heavy 26" varmint barrel. Thumbhole stock.
On top sit's a Baush & Lomb Balvar 24.

What I am in search of is some load data for this rifle.
I worked up a small load just to fire form brass. But am looking for someone else that might already have one.

My aunt had told me my uncle was building this rifle for long range shooting?
I only wish I had a chance to talk to him about it.
I think he would be impressed with the finished project!!!

Thanks,
Tim

Hi

Do a search under the heading BULLETS, BARRELS, AND BALLISTICS, for 6.5-06 and you will find a lot of info.

First off hello all.. Great forum!!!

I received a an unfinished rifle from my aunt a few years ago. My uncle started building it, but never had the chance to finish. I have since finished the stock work and installed a new trigger.

It is built on a 03 action. Heavy 26" varmint barrel. Thumbhole stock.
On top sit's a Baush & Lomb Balvar 24.

What I am in search of is some load data for this rifle.
I worked up a small load just to fire form brass. But am looking for someone else that might already have one.

My aunt had told me my uncle was building this rifle for long range shooting?
I only wish I had a chance to talk to him about it.
I think he would be impressed with the finished project!!!

Thanks,
Tim
I have a 6.5 06 AI and fire form my shells with 25 06 brass 51 grains 4831 light load to fire form my shells works just fine. I load it up with 4831 powder to 56.8 grains. Right at 3000 fps. Half inch group at 100 yards. Nice rifle It will take it out to 1000 yards easy with a 140 he. Berger and Vortex scope.

Nearly any high power rifle "can" be used for long range shooting. 6.5-06 can do just as well as any other. The long powder column is not ideal but it's not a disqualifying factor. You'll be running a little faster than is necessary but not faster than is sane. Enjoy it. Sounds like a neat rifle.

Always ran 59 grains of Retumbo behind a 140 and lapua brass in all my 6.5-06AI's in the past. Great round, I still load for one that my father owns.

Epic zombie thead.
I recently built a 6.5-06AI (McGowan Remage) and I think it will be one of my favorite rifles. I haven't finished load development yet but hit 3140fps before I got to pressure signs I felt were enough to stop. Recoil is entirely forgettable.

dead mouse GIF

I own and have handloaded for the 6.5-06 Ackley. As to the long range question, I shoot at 540 yards, the back of the club range and my definition of long range is at that maximum. My next question is what is the twist of your barrel? Will it support long range VLD bullets?

I ended up shooting 130 Berger VLD Hunting and 130 (not LR) Accubonds in mine. I tried 140 Berger Hunting and 130 Accubond LRs but they were not as happy in my gain twist barrel. I also did not like to deep seat the longer bullets and their are magazine length issues.

Attachments

• DSCN7566.JPG
    DSCN7566.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 41

Recent Posts