5000 FPS Pursuit, 18gr Dead Blow Hammer

I assume in forming your moving the shoulder forward on the standard 17 rem, forcing you to make a false shoulder?
Not 100% sure the following applies exactly the same way to the 17 Stinger, but I think it does. For the 6 Mongoose from MDWS (same guy makes both of these) the round is meant to be built from 5.56 brass, and the shoulder moves back during the sizing operation. I set the sizing die with the tallest Redding comp shell holder, and move shorter (sizing the shoulder back more) until the case chambers. The way the shoulder is set it actually bells at shoulder/body junction because the new case has a good bit less taper. There's no need for the false shoulder in this particular case because the initially sized shoulder can be made long by moving it less. The body taper blows out on the first firing, and the overall case length actually shortens somewhat. The initial trim is something like -0.010" from the parent case, but I have to trim to the max spec for fire forming, then trim again to uniform length once the cases shorten as the body blows out. No neck turning because the reamer was built for neck clearance around reformed LC brass that is usually thicker than if you sized down a 223 Rem case.

These are cases that were expanded from .224 to .243 with a PMA carbine neck up mandrel (very nice tool), then sized down in the 6MG die. Sorry this is fuzzy but you can see the belling under the shoulder:
6mg.2.jpg

Further back where you can see the belling more as the bright line around the shoulder/body junction from the die sizing the case down:
6mg.1.jpg

Last edited:
It's not actually all that difficult. Over at the AccurateRelaoding forum Saeed got 5,278 ft/sec by shooting a 30gr Berger bullet in a rather Plain-Jane 22-243. He used RE15 to get there.

Yea. Back in the 90's, some of us were blowing past 5k fps with various sabot loads in 30-06, and I was hand swaging 17 grain bullets in .224 and loading them in a 222Rem @ 5,250fps avg. Since the bullets were so light, I could use Hercules 2400 to really give them a fast kick, and at 24 grains, I reached the 5,250 without any undue pressures. The impacts on targets around 200yds and under were spectacular, but beyond 250-300yds, the low BC bullet lost much of its speed advantages.

My 22-250AI's will break 5k with light weights.

I was thinking through reading this whole thing "he has got to be using copper solids". Just read post #62 lol. Nicely done! That thing is a frickin laser

View attachment 348881For those interested
17 Stinger - Custom Caliber Mad Dog Weapon System
Currently not listed on web-site. Contact Bruce Finnegan (https://maddogweapons.com/contact/)
It's basically a 17RemAI.

Caliber .17 Cal

Bullet - 18gr Dead Blow Hammer
(Do not use cup and core bullets at these velocities. They have been known to vaporize in the upper 4000 FPS. Hammer Bullets solid copper will not shred or melt at 5000 FPS range).

Parent Case - 223
I'll do a video on all thes steps. Bruce makes 3 dies for the build and a Hornady 17 Seater die. I also advice a .223 die.

Twist Rate - 1:9
He will turn to your specs but 1:9 is what Bruce typically uses.
Hammer Bullets 17cal TR Specs below
18 DBH = 1.9
19gr HH = 1.925
21gr HH = 1.950

Barrel - McGowen

Barrel Length - 27"
Bruce tyipically builds 18-24" but if you beg and if he has he will make longer.

Barrel Profile - Bull
.936 Gas Block

Gas Tube - Rifle Length

Upper Receiver - AR15

Hand Guard - Hontac 19"
(AR15 Handguard - Longest one I could find in the Market Made USA).

Lower Receiver - 17Design
(Joe Bob Outfitters - Made in Oklahoma)

BCG & Bolt Face - Standard .223

Lower Parts - CMC
(Joe Bob Outfitters)

Trigger - CMC 2.5#
(Joe Bob Outfitters)

Trigger Guard - Magpul
(Joe Bob Outfitters)

Stock - Strike Industries Modular
(Joe Bob Outfitters)

Buffer Tube - Standard

Buffer Weight - 3.0oz (Standard)

Other Mandatory Tools
Solid Precision Trimmer - Removing close to .080" off case.
Hornady Head Space Guage, .330 Adapter
Annealer
Patience - Forming these cases will test your patience!!! I'll do a full video of make.
17 Cal Funnel (I had to trim shoulder avoid spillage - I will show later).
17 Cal Cleaning Rod
17 Cal Bore Snake (Run it soaked every 10 rounds)

If you questions ask below.

I'm sure I will think of other things but I gotta go cook some bacon now!!!
Really impressed with this build. Looks GREAT! Thanks for sharing all the info on the build.
Would like to see some more data on actually accuracy.
Also interested in why use the .223 case instead of a .204 Ruger. Could skip a step in fire forming. Maybe due to limited brass manufactures? No Lapua.

I was thinking through reading this whole thing "he has got to be using copper solids". Just read post #62 lol. Nicely done! That thing is a frickin laser
Beleive it or not these speeds can be attained with lead cores too under the right circumstances. Fella by the name of Bruce Potts hit like 5150 fps with a 30 grain berger flat base out of a .22-284!

Zen
Good morning and hope that you and your family are doing well.
Any updates on the "17 Stinger".
Have you been shooting it and Accuracy, FPS, Barrel life.
Cool looking build!!!

Thanks
Len & Jill
Just dropped a coyote. Will post video in a bit. Still running strong. Moved up to 21gr bullet. Still ripping 4630 FPS.