5 for 5 with 6x45

Longshotjames

Trying to make end of year harvest quotas

dense fog kept the Longrange game shut down so the 6x45 went to work.
Using 80gr Speer Hotcore out of my Dtech 20" Shilen barrel @ 2800fps

5 shots 5 kills ....1 head shot, 1 neck shot and 3 identical just behind the shoulder.

time to bacon & jalapeño wrap more tenderloin!

Attachments

• DD754ADB-3539-4FE6-9376-63B1DFDD2DC4.jpeg
    DD754ADB-3539-4FE6-9376-63B1DFDD2DC4.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 395
  • C1510409-0F43-4DAB-9FBA-2CBF93DF6CAB.jpeg
    C1510409-0F43-4DAB-9FBA-2CBF93DF6CAB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 376
I like the idea of the 6x45, always wanted to try one. I wanted a 6mm AR for a long time, but never did seem to happen. I ended up with a 6.8SPC which I've grown fond of.

I haven't really heard of the 6TCU, back when I was considering a small frame 6mm I was looking at the 6mmAR and Turbo40 version.

I am a 6-223/6TCU nut. It does way over what one would think. I have a few hundred of the old Hotcor Speers laid back myself. Curious if anyone has compared them to the "new" gold dot offering.
The raves about the 6ARC/Grendel, like it is new. I just can't believe folks never gave the 6-223 and variations a try. One of the easiest wildcats I have played with.
Jeff

The appeal for me moving up to a 6mm is you have to run at least a 6mm bore for deer hunting here in WV. Plus I want to build an economical rifle for my son to practice with and hunt with too.

I originally planned to build a 6mm on an AR but I recently came into a 223 bolt face action that I would like to use instead. I'm thinking the 6x45 would be perfect because it's simple to make brass for, plus I have plenty of quality 223 brass on hand. It's low recoil and has a great bullet selection in 6mm. So I'm starting to lean towards the 6x45 for building him a trainer/hunting rig.

For you guys that are running the 6x45, does this cartridge benefit from a longer barrel velocity wise? I don't want the rifle to be too unwieldy, I'm thinking a 20-22" barrel. Also, I'm assuming this cartridge shines with bullets on lighter end of the 6mm spectrum? Got any twist rate recommendations?

The appeal for me moving up to a 6mm is you have to run at least a 6mm bore for deer hunting here in WV. Plus I want to build an economical rifle for my son to practice with and hunt with too.

I originally planned to build a 6mm on an AR but I recently came into a 223 bolt face action that I would like to use instead. I'm thinking the 6x45 would be perfect because it's simple to make brass for, plus I have plenty of quality 223 brass on hand. It's low recoil and has a great bullet selection in 6mm. So I'm starting to lean towards the 6x45 for building him a trainer/hunting rig.

For you guys that are running the 6x45, does this cartridge benefit from a longer barrel velocity wise? I don't want the rifle to be too unwieldy, I'm thinking a 20-22" barrel. Also, I'm assuming this cartridge shines with bullets on lighter end of the 6mm spectrum? Got any twist rate recommendations?
20" is about right for the 6x45 to balance length & velocity. 1:10twist will allow to run anything 100gr and under. It's recommended for 80-90gr
James