45-90bp

ducmarc

building a new rifle for next year had a remington hepburn action sitting in a box that my dad gave me. never being one to hunt with the same gun twice(last year netted a nice spike with a box stock 91 argentine mauser carbine).ive decided this years deer,hog,bear gun to be 45-90 in black powder. have a green mountian tapered octagon barrel coming. long shots would be 200 where i hunt and most 50 yrd. the question is what length barrel? want it somewhat fast handling so was thinking 22" to 26" and jacketed, wax lubed or paper patched with soft lead which i hear flatten well anyone hunt with something like this.

building a new rifle for next year had a remington hepburn action sitting in a box that my dad gave me. never being one to hunt with the same gun twice(last year netted a nice spike with a box stock 91 argentine mauser carbine).ive decided this years deer,hog,bear gun to be 45-90 in black powder. have a green mountian tapered octagon barrel coming. long shots would be 200 where i hunt and most 50 yrd. the question is what length barrel? want it somewhat fast handling so was thinking 22" to 26" and jacketed, wax lubed or paper patched with soft lead which i hear flatten well anyone hunt with something like this.

Old black powder cartridges need barrel length. I would recommend at least 26" . Also In order to get the most out of the 45/90 in a short barrel you should use at least a 350 grain bullet and preferably a 450 to 500 grain to get the energy from low velocity in the short barrel. (The heaver
bullet will do a better job of burning all of the powder, and because it will stay in the barrel longer
it will gain more energy).

For the cartridge BP rifles I normally recommend the jacketed bullets because of the velocity they can reach with 30+'' barrels. but you may want to look into some cast bullets around 500 grains.
I use a 626 grain Postnell in my 45/120 with great accuracy at ranges beyond 500 yards.

J E CUSTOM

The longer the barrel the better with an old black powder cartridge, also make sure you check the pressure that you seat the bullet on the powder charge, very important for consistent Vel. and Accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.