45-70 Subsonic load data

.7mm.

VV N330 is a great substitute for unique and seems to be insensitive to case fill or fill position.
I started with 14 grains and it was a little slow at 980 fps, loaded some at 14.5 and I'm getting a consistent 1020 fps. At my elevation the sound barrier is 1080 fps, so I'm comfortably below that and decided to stay at the 14.5 of N330

I'm shooting a 400gr Speer jacketed soft point over 14.5gr VV N330 in starline brass with win lrp out of a marlin 1895G
And a SilencerCo hybrid 46.

Subs out of a 45-70 are a whole lot of fun

If you have any more 45-70 subsonic loads post them here

VV N330 is a great substitute for unique and seems to be insensitive to case fill or fill position.
I started with 14 grains and it was a little slow at 980 fps, loaded some at 14.5 and I'm getting a consistent 1020 fps. At my elevation the sound barrier is 1080 fps, so I'm comfortably below that and decided to stay at the 14.5 of N330

I'm shooting a 400gr Speer jacketed soft point over 14.5gr VV N330 in starline brass with win lrp out of a marlin 1895G
And a SilencerCo hybrid 46.

Subs out of a 45-70 are a whole lot of fun

If you have any more 45-70 subsonic loads post them here
Sweet! I was about 1/2 way through your post, and was thinking……man, that would be sweet with a suppressor! I see that you are there! 😉 👍 memtb

I'd really consider suppressors on a couple of things we have, special use/conditions firearms, but, shy away (OK run like hell) run making my hunting rifle barrel longer! 😉 memtb
There is your excuse to build a short barrel magnum 👍 18" barrel with a 6-8" can is still shorter than a standard 26" hunting rifle with a brake 🤷

There is your excuse to build a short barrel magnum 👍 18" barrel with a 6-8" can is still shorter than a standard 26" hunting rifle with a brake 🤷

What's a brake! 🤔😉

And, my 24" is plenty long enough in the trees and brush! I'd prefer it not to be any longer, heavier, or bulkier than it already is! 😉

Oh…..I only have one dedicated hunting rifle for anything but close range heavy timber! memtb

Last edited:

Recent Posts