45-70 1st time loading

md66948

This is the first time I ever loaded 45-70. I did 3 different loads, (29 grs, 30 grs, & 31 grs), using 4198 and 405gr coated lead round nose flat point bullets. These are light loads for my US Springfield 1884 Trapdoor Cadet Rifle.

I only have one turret die plate so I had to put my Lee Crimp Die on my MEC Marksman for the crimp stage. No big deal but I do need to purchase several more Redding Turret Die Plates. The other side of the turret head has my 45 Colt dies.

My first several crimps seemed too tight so I backed it off a little and then set the bullet another .005 into the case. That put the crimp grove on the bullet 3/4 down into the 45-70 case. I still think the crimp is a little to tight but I will see how they shoot at the range. I put tiny dots on my brass to separate the loads incase I loose my documentation.

So far I have loaded 45 Colt and 45-70. on my T7. My next project on the T7 will be making some 300 BO rounds for my son's AAC SB Upper. I do have a chop saw with a 300 BO Jig and dies to convert 223 cases into 300 BO cases. . I have never made or loaded 300 BO so this will be another venture with a caliber that I have never reloaded before like the 45 Colt & 45-70.

I will tell you this about 300bo. It's a pita on flat based bullets without crushing cases! Test empty case without primers before, so to make sure all is well.

Recent Posts