44 Mag hunting bullet

Which projectile would you choose for hunting big game in the lower 48 inside 100 yards?

• 205gr Jack Hammer

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • 200gr Lehigh Raptor

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 300gr + WFNGC

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Other

Votes: 33 41.8%

• Total voters

wilkup

Kicking around a few bullet options for hunting this fall. I plan to load and carry Matt's 325gr for backup but am searching for a dedicated hunting option as well. I personally love how monos perform but am always open to other alternatives.
Anyone have personal experience with any of these options?

I've had great luck with Barne's XPBs and Cutting Edge's Raptors. Loading the raptors is a bit different than most bullets. The big thing is to use fast powders. Chris Rhodes wrote a good article on it.

XTPs work well too as long as you keep them at an appropriate velocity. Hornady publishes a reccomended terminal velocity range for them. Stick to that range and you'll be in good shape.

My only experience is with the 240 gr Speer Gold Dots as well. Short range on wild hogs. Its put some big boars down though, no drama.

It would depend on what you intend to hunt and distances you want to shoot. Also the revolver being used would influence my recommendation.

If we are talking Ruger, colt anaconda, Dan Wesson…

It's hard to beat a 320gr class of hard cast with a wide meplat, loaded over 23 grains of h110/w296 for most things

For jacketed bullets 240gr xtp over 24-25gr of h110 is excellent for whitetails, antelope, etc

I've had great luck with Barne's XPBs and Cutting Edge's Raptors. Loading the raptors is a bit different than most bullets. The big thing is to use fast powders. Chris Rhodes wrote a good article on it.

XTPs work well too as long as you keep them at an appropriate velocity. Hornady publishes a reccomended terminal velocity range for them. Stick to that range and you'll be in good shape.
Just read this article and another one he wrote posted on CEB's web page.
I'm sold and am going to try those 200gr CEB Raptors this hunting season and utilize Matt's 325gr WFNGC as a backup/bear defense option while on horseback.

I've shot quiet a few whitetail dear with the 44 Mag. in a pistol. Like most folks I started out with a 240 gr. bullet, either jacketed or hard cast. They will all kill deer, but they don't have much "knockdown" power. They shoot holes through deer but don't have any shock power unless you hit a bone. The deer will run off like he's shot with an arrow. I once had to shoot a 4 point buck 3 times through the heart/lung area before he fell over. You could cover all three holes with you hand. He was just so interested in chasing a hot doe, he didn't know he had been shot. The bullets were 240 gr. Jacketed Hollow Points. I dug one of the bullets out of the ground and it had not expanded. These were loaded hot with a max load of WW296 powder. So I started shooting 180 gr. hollow points. The extra 300 fps, from 1400 to 1700 fps really made a difference. I've never looked back. Unless you're trying to stop a charging grizzly, you don't need a heavy, deep penetrating bullet.
If I want to shoot long distance with a handgun, I've got several high power pistols that I can use.
But if I'm using a wheelgun, I'm carrying my 6" S&W Mod. 29 loaded with Sierra 180 gr. Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullets.
Just my two cents worth after handgun hunting for 50+ years.

I've shot quiet a few whitetail dear with the 44 Mag. in a pistol. Like most folks I started out with a 240 gr. bullet, either jacketed or hard cast. They will all kill deer, but they don't have much "knockdown" power. They shoot holes through deer but don't have any shock power unless you hit a bone. The deer will run off like he's shot with an arrow. I once had to shoot a 4 point buck 3 times through the heart/lung area before he fell over. You could cover all three holes with you hand. He was just so interested in chasing a hot doe, he didn't know he had been shot. The bullets were 240 gr. Jacketed Hollow Points. I dug one of the bullets out of the ground and it had not expanded. These were loaded hot with a max load of WW296 powder. So I started shooting 180 gr. hollow points. The extra 300 fps, from 1400 to 1700 fps really made a difference. I've never looked back. Unless you're trying to stop a charging grizzly, you don't need a heavy, deep penetrating bullet.
If I want to shoot long distance with a handgun, I've got several high power pistols that I can use.
But if I'm using a wheelgun, I'm carrying my 6" S&W Mod. 29 loaded with Sierra 180 gr. Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullets.
Just my two cents worth after handgun hunting for 50+ years.
Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us 🙏 This pushes me even further towards that 200gr Raptor. You should read that linked article.
That big hardcast bullet is for the large bears we have in the PNW. My brother's hunting buddy just shot one with a rifle a couple days ago that measured 7'7" nose to tail!