38 special hand loads

I'm a fan of red dot.as mentioned titegroup is sensitive to load volume,it's easy to accidentally double charge with it. Economical? Absolutely!!!

Bullseye and unique seem to always still be on shelves because it's not the cool Gucci powder or the latest and greatest. But they've been getting it done for a long time. 3-3.4gr for the 125-140gr works just fine for target loads
This is what I've used for 40+years. Friend of mine shot on the military pistol team and he used Bullseye and 148 wad-cutters.

If for a old item, HS6 is good for low pressure loads AND visually verifying not being accidentally overcharged (the main reason I and many others don't suggest the "frugal" powders). If it's in your means to clearly identify your loads/cases and keep the rounds away from anything old, aka designate them for strictly your I am assuming newly manufactured lever gun - H110 does work in a 38 case with the Hornady FTX at a charge mildly above minimum and no compression. Makes for a couple more rounds in the tube if you happen to be critter collecting and don't consider it to be overkill. Exact accuracy and velocity haven't been tested yet but they shot consistent to point of aim with the iron's. If they run anything like my old experience with a 44mag Smith they shouldn't un-impress.
Case head thickness was found to be identical on 357 and 38 cases on hand, so it's definitely pressure considerations when it comes to your powder choice and loading style.

I use Clays for 36 & 9 mm. I happened to have a large jug of it for shotgun reloading, and found that many shotgun powders work well for small straight-cased pistol rounds. I've been happy with the results. Load data is on the Hodgen website.

I'm looking for a couple of powder suggestions for some 38 special practice/plinking loads. Will mainly be pistol loads and some out of the 357 lever gun. 125gn Berry's plated Bullets

Thanks
Mike
Basically, pick up or go online for any reloading manual for 38 Special, and you will find many powders suitable for usage in target/plinking loads for it. Powders like Bullseye, W231, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, old W452AA, W473AA, Titegroup, etc, etc, etc will work. I've loaded hundreds of thousands of 38's with all these and then some.

Last edited:
Bullseye is smokey and dirty but very easy to clean up.
Not position sensitive at all.
BE can be very accurate. Lots of National Championships have been won with it.

Like most reloading, BE is not recommended for fools or those prone to mistakes. I have not counted how many 2.7 grain loads of BE will fit in a 38sp case but I guess at least 4.

Full wad cutters, both hollow base and double ended tend to go unstable at about 50 yards out of a Smith & Wesson revolver. The faster twist Colt only a little farther. Most of the designs attributed to Elmer Keith can yield great accuracy out past several hundred yards IF you are a pistol High Master.

I like to bang on the rifle gongs with a 38 revolver. Even my best full wad cutter target loads are terrible at rifle distances.

Many good powders have been mentioned, straight wall pistol loading is easy.

It is wise to use .357 cases for your mild 38 special like loads in .357 chambers.

I don't have a .357 rifle but have shot plenty of game with a 44 mag Winchester 94 and various 44 mag pistols. The rifle puts the 44 in a completely different category of killing power.

Bullseye, Unique was the go to powder for 38 Spec. loads back about 1971 when I went to work as a Wildlife Officer.
3.0 gr. Bullseye, Rem small pistol primer and 141 gr. wadcutter bullet cast from wheel weights was my play load.
A lot of crippled deer went to the big alfalfa patch beyond with the load.
For a practice load with full 357 mag. Rem small pistol primer, Herco powder and a 150 gr. Keith design flat nose bullet cast of wheel weight mix, was a great practice load with mag. kick.