38 special hand loads

I have been trying to stop buying powders I don't currently have in the powder cabinet. It just gets crazy having so many small quantities of different powders. I recently started loading 357 and picked up a couple of pounds of 2400. I would like to load some 38 special for easier target practice, but only have CFE Pistol and Titegroup that seems appropriate. My elbow was tender for a week after the last time I shot my revolvers. Maybe I should stop shooting that SW500, but I just can't get myself to sell it.

There are several powders that work well in 38 Specials. I'd pick one that was available and run with it. If you're loading for a pistol that's not rated for +P loads that should be considered too.

W231 is my favorite, works for many cartridges and been using it for years.
Also have had success with:
Unique
Clays
Bulleye

I used to shoot PPC matches with a 686 and 3gr of W231 under 148gr HBWC was a winner for me!

When shooting rifle/pistol I preferred 4.1gr W231 under 158gr lead RN.
I used Winchester's white box 148gr HBWC for my match ammo. I couldn't equal it with my handloads through my PPC revolver built on a 586. But that 3 gr of Bullseye was a classic load.

It's just a 4 pounder. Someone gave it to me. "Oh, you reload? Take this, it's been in the garage for years."
I had it for a decade before I even had the sack to try any of it. Works fine in .45ACP and .38SPL.
I used to buy 8# Red Dot in those old cardboard drums. I remember buying them for $35/8lb from an appliance/hardware/reloading store about 50 miles from home. The owner was an avid sheet/trap shooter, and often, he gave people a good deal on supplies to help cover the larger bulk purchases.

We used Red Dot in a lot of various shotgun, pistol and reduced rifle loads. Those old 8# kegs lasted a long time.

1705839134200.png