338 RUM Encore malfunction

I see a....wrecked frame...messed up base...screwed up barrel...smashed watch.....but where's the fellas drawer's with the big brown stain??

Understand the limits of your firearm and LIVE WITH IT!!!

Well , I won't say that the RUM's and WSM's won't work in the Encore not will I say that they arn't a good choice but one has to relize that your not gonna get the velocities out of it that you can with a bolt gun , in fact I wouldn't recoment shooting factory ammo out of it.
Another problem I see with that pic is the barrel material , about 90% of the guys that buy a SS gun think that the SS is stronger than the CM and its NOT. This is why most smiths don't like to build realt hot big cased rounds on SS actions.
I personaly think that TC should make a frame that would handle a barrel that 1.25" in diameter , I think that they probablu woulden't sell as well but they would sell

I know somebody that had an ultra mag built in an encore that lost an eye. The weld came apart and bang. I think it was built by the same group mentioned.

The Lug attachment on the Encore rifles is a big concern , I talked at length with the guys from Virgen Valley , which I think is the same guys that run the setup in question. The way they weld the lug on is "fast" to minimize the heat buildup ,I tell you that a fast cold weld is a very week weld and I would not own a barrel that was builkt this way even if it were given to me.

Some gun builders will make a fella what ever they want weather its safe or not. Am I saying that chambering the Encores for the RUM is unsafe? No so long as the owner knows the limits of the gun and that hes not gonna be able to push it like the bolt guns , I will say that I think that if they are gonna build the RUM's and WSM's on the Encore that they should at least use the strongest material available and not Stainless Steel

Hey NYLES , I have talked to Mike few times about a couple Encores that gave me fits with the trigger.

I know that Virgen Valley with belly up , but a couple of the guys started another shop , not sure , maybe match grade amchine or maybe O.T.T. , but I do know that they are making barrels again under another name

I finnally sent both of mine to him but, he kept coming out with new springs and my triggers got all confused...but hand me a new one now youd love it when you get it back!

We gotta shoot some Encore one day! and Im looking for a 270 barrel for my dad hear any real good prices let me know!

[ QUOTE ]
I know that Virgen Valley with belly up , but a couple of the guys started another shop , not sure , maybe match grade amchine or maybe O.T.T. , but I do know that they are making barrels again under another name

[/ QUOTE ]

The ol'VV boys are now known as Match Grade Machine. Not sure what happened but apparently that thought a new name might help? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OTT (On Target Technologies) is ran by Mike Sirois. He's just down the road from the T/C factory. Mike makes some very innovative products and interesting ways of cutting chambers. Sharp fella that makes a great product.

That is the 2nd Encore catastrophic failure I have heard about. A guy in so. utah lost an eye when his 300 RUM on an Encore came apart a few years ago.

Courting disaster in my view with the RUM case in the Encore.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.