338 Ruger Compact Magnum

RB II

Anyone with experience on this round please let me know. I am considering a trade for one that comes with 14 boxes is 225 SST superformancd ammo. So a shortage of ammo/brass would not be its problem.

My concern is that it is a dead caliber. I just finished a 8.4 lb fully dressed 300 PRC build and it covers/outperforms that RCM round in most cases. It does have a 20" bbl, so short/lighter is on its side. I just am not a fan of having redundant rifles.

Thoughts and comments please

Use the search bar, several threads.
@seabeaken seems the most invested...

I have both. I built my .338 on a CA action so have up to 3.2 COAL. I had a 24'' proof lite from ages ago.
Gun came out great and shoots lights out.
It has a Maine moose hunt waiting for it when I hit that lotto:):):)

The 300PRC delivers more and further plus better drift in the wind so that is going to be my Elk go to...
Don't dismiss the hole a .338 makes.

That Superformance ammo is HOT. I also haven't heard the best reviews on the SST's per se. Keyboard warriors be damed. I hand load so feeding mine a 205 Power Hammer. Fits great. I did draw blood with mine blew a coyote in half at inside 150 yards.

Cartridge feeds wonderfully. It is just a little less of a shoulder angel than the WSM family.
I say go for it!!

I have taken three cow elk with my 22" 7 lb custom sporter. Used 225 gr Accubonds velocity 2733 fps. All were taken 200 yds or under. One shot for each. Bullets exited. Great rifle for easy carry and very lethal. Mine has a 3-9 Accupoint Trijicon so low light is not an issue.

Found some brass here:

With some effort you could also make 338 RCM brass from 6.5 PRC

I had a 338/300WSM for a few years, personally I'd take a pass on the shorty 338 mags.......I can one wanting to play with one but real world there isn't anthing that they do that a bunch of other rounds don't already.

You'll hear/read of some pretty wild speeds with it, and of course one can make rounds do what they want to make them do.............know what I mean:)