338 EDGE

Shawn what die are you using. I understand Redding has dies specifically for the 338/300 rum.
Thanks.

The 338 Edge once fired holds 118 gr of h2o to overflow. Redding does in fact make the dies I use 338-300 ultra the only reason I named it 338 Edge was to eliminate any mistake about being able to shoot 338 ultra in it what a disaster that would be. I shoot a 300 gr SMK with 94 gr H1000, oal 3.775", 30" tube at 2900-2950 fps depending on the rifle.

Got a invite from shawn carlock to take one of his long range hunting class's. It was one of the best shooting class's i have ever taken. Got to do lots of shooting at ranges from 100 yds to 1150 yds. With instruction on how to set up your rifles dope chart. How to think in moa. How to read the wind and how the wind can effect the bullet. And what the up or down angle will do to your scope settings. I have been shooting for 35 yrs and thought i knew how to hit a target at long range (500 yds) but after shawns class and the .338 edge he built for me i can make frist round hits a ranges out to 1150 yds with good conditions and in poor conditions by 3rd round
Thanks for the great class
P/S. I will be sending my wife to the class in july. She got her moose tag in Idaho would like her to make a long range shot on her own
Will be shooting a mile shortly will keep posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Matt,
Glad you liked the class. Shooting inside of 600 yards with the EDGE was kind of like kicking your dog. It truly showed its colors at 1150 yards. It was nice to have one of them in the class so everyone could see what an advantage a purpose built LRH rifle is.

Shawn

Shawn, Is this class open for any one or just mil/le or customers? I am interested in diffrent ways to accomplish the same goal.

d-a,

The class is open to the public. I don't teach fieldcraft like in my law enforcement precision rifle classes. The LRH class is mostly about the shooting with some ideas and tips on techniques for long range hunting setups. The class is 1 day, 100 rounds, $100.00, shoot mostly out to 600-700 yards with some work at ranges out to 1150 yards. In the class that Matt took there were 3 shooters with factory barreled rifles and 1/2 the class connected on the 1150 gong within 3 shots. I do require that the rifles shoot sub MOA and have target knob adjustable scopes or ballistic reticules. I highly recommend the target knob route. I will be having another one some time in August and will post a date as soon as I get it set.

Shawn,
Do you have a website or some photos of some rifles you've built. I'm just being curious. Thanks.

I love reading these posts on Shawns 338 Edge. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival my Edge that Shawn is building for me as I type. I can't wait to get out and get some trigger time in to get fimilar with my new stick. Shawn are you still doing your long range deer hunt in 2005, is it to late to get permits for this season? I will give you a call to discuss.

I will update everybody when I get my Edge and get out on the range.

Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Mike Bowers aka: OneShot

Mike,
I am guiding LR Whitetail hunts for Idaho whitetail adventures this fall in November. I have 2 slots left for the prime week of season Nov 15-20. Tags and license are still available from Idaho F&G online. The hunt prices are 3000.00 for 1x1, 1 day LR class/eval and 5 day LR hunt.

Well guys I got it, my new Edge from Shawn Carlock arrived Friday morning. I have not gotten out to the range yet maybe tomorrow. I will say one thing if it shoots as good as it looks it will be a tack driver!! The fit and finish and overall attention to detail is second to none! I wish I could figure out how to post pictures here so that I could share it with everyone. I would also say that Shawn's customer service is as good as his smith work he always has time for his customers and goes the extra mile to meet all requests and expectations while still being very honest and upfront about any concerns that he may have. Thanks Shawn for a great looking rifle and I am sure that it will shoot as good as it looks.
I will let everybody know how it shoots as soon as I get out and send a few down the tube.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts