338 Edge Build

Rhino55

I'm rifle builder hobbyist. I own a lathe and have be barreling Remington 700 actions into semi-custom rifles. This is my first attempted to use a high-end receiver to build a custom rifle. The receiver I used was a Surgeon 1086 LA Repeater with PTG bottom metal and Detachable mag. The barrel is a Rock Creek Heavy Varmint in a 1-9.5 twist 28 inches long. The stock is a Greybull stock. I just ordered a Timney trigger for it. I have already lapped the barrel. I have 200 rounds of Remington Brass and 100 rounds of Norma brass. Ill use the Remington brass for barrel break in and the norma brass for load development. I'm wanting to use the Berger 300 OTM Hybrids but I'm having to set the bullet way into the cast for use in the mag. The scope is a Vortex 5x29x54 Vortex Razor HD.

Attachments

• 338 EDGE II.jpg
    338 EDGE II.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 550
I'm rifle builder hobbyist. I own a lathe and have be barreling Remington 700 actions into semi-custom rifles. This is my first attempted to use a high-end receiver to build a custom rifle. The receiver I used was a Surgeon 1086 LA Repeater with PTG bottom metal and Detachable mag. The barrel is a Rock Creek Heavy Varmint in a 1-9.5 twist 28 inches long. The stock is a Greybull stock. I just ordered a Timney trigger for it. I have already lapped the barrel. I have 200 rounds of Remington Brass and 100 rounds of Norma brass. Ill use the Remington brass for barrel break in and the norma brass for load development. I'm wanting to use the Berger 300 OTM Hybrids but I'm having to set the bullet way into the cast for use in the mag. The scope is a Vortex 5x29x54 Vortex Razor HD.
I might do the brass part the other way around. Depends on the lot of Remmy. Norma brass is really soft for an Edge IMHO. I have smoked 5 barrels off of an Edge and ran Nosler brass for a while and eventually went back to Remmy as the Nosler pockets just didn't hold up. The Nosler brass is sorted Norma and is really nice but too soft for any loads I ran in an Edge.
If you are going to really work with the Edge look into Bertram.

Thanks! I'm use to working with Lapua or Lake City brass. I've been looking for Bertram brass and sent Shawn an email on it but he has not replied back.
Rhino55

Thanks! I'm use to working with Lapua or Lake City brass. I've been looking for Bertram brass and sent Shawn an email on it but he has not replied back.
Rhino55
Norma will be a big learning curve if you are used to those two.
Lapua/LC=Steel.
Norma=Butter.

Norma is a lot prettier and nicer but my primer pockets would smoke in 3 loads vs 6-7 with Remmy at the same velocity. I couldn't run Norma over 2700 and RP made 2850.

I am pretty sure the Bertram brass is currently on back order. I have had 100 cases on order through my smith but pretty sure he is getting them through Shawn as well. From the separate discussion I had with Shawn, I'm expecting the Bertram brass to hold up well as long as I don't push it really hard. I've only put a few rounds through the new rifle while waiting for custom dies so time will tell how well it holds up for me.

20170115_1628531.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I shot the 3 shot group with only 10 rounds down the barrel. I was using barrel break in ammo of norma once fired brass, 80 grs of H1000, CCI Magnum Rifle Primer and 250 gr SMK.

I Like what is see so far. Pleasant shooting rifle!

Rhino 55 gun)

20170115_1628531.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I shot the 3 shot group with only 10 rounds down the barrel. I was using barrel break in ammo of norma once fired brass, 80 grs of H1000, CCI Magnum Rifle Primer and 250 gr SMK.

I Like what is see so far. Pleasant shooting rifle!

Rhino 55 gun)

That´s a really mild load. I´m stuffing 92gr of h1000 and 95gr of retumbo on my loads. Shoots 2870fps using 300gr berger hybrids out of a 31" tube.

I'd like to see someone do a side by side test with high node loads with Norma and Bertram. I'm using Norma brass in my 28" edge with a 300 Berger, 91.5 grains of H1000 at 2855 fps. Five reloads on my test batch so far and the pockets are still tight. Norma in several chambers has been anything but soft. I'd have a hard time swallowing the price of Bertram when Norma does the job and it's more available.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.