308 modification

Something has happened all at once, Making the rifle open its group. Scope, Scope mounts, Barrel stripping jacket material, Banged crown, If using suppressor check for bullet hitting baffles.
Another thing to check, Check the Firing Pin and Spring, If the firing pin spring is weak. Or something in firing pin channel could be slowing the strike.
Shooting through a chronograph may help find the problem.

Hey

I have a 308 savage long range hunter. The rifle worked very well for about 4 years. All the sudden this year it's started to really get messed up. Not hitting on paper at 20. I think it's related to the rifles stock. I have kind of out grown the gun and want to go to a heavier caliber for hunting but would still like to hold on to my 308.

I'll primarily use it for spring black bear hunting and maybe antelope.

Anyways this is a long way for me to say I'm going to turn this rifle into a frankenstein. I'm thinking of about dropping the barrel and action into an MDT oryx chassis.

The barrel is currently 20 inches long. I have a banish 30 can I want to put on it. What do you guys think I can chop the barrel to and expect good performance at 500 and below. Good enough to take down a bear or antelope but doesn't need to be competition accurate. I'm looking for ethical accuracy not competition accuracy.

Any other modifications you might suggest would be appreciated.

I understand this isn't a dream build. With the exception of the chassis and barrel chop I'm not putting much money into it. In reality I'm just trying to do something different with my 308. I'll be spending more money on building a 300 win mag later this year.
Do a trigger by rifle basix