308 modification

nunya2222

Hey

I have a 308 savage long range hunter. The rifle worked very well for about 4 years. All the sudden this year it's started to really get messed up. Not hitting on paper at 20. I think it's related to the rifles stock. I have kind of out grown the gun and want to go to a heavier caliber for hunting but would still like to hold on to my 308.

I'll primarily use it for spring black bear hunting and maybe antelope.

Anyways this is a long way for me to say I'm going to turn this rifle into a frankenstein. I'm thinking of about dropping the barrel and action into an MDT oryx chassis.

The barrel is currently 20 inches long. I have a banish 30 can I want to put on it. What do you guys think I can chop the barrel to and expect good performance at 500 and below. Good enough to take down a bear or antelope but doesn't need to be competition accurate. I'm looking for ethical accuracy not competition accuracy.

Any other modifications you might suggest would be appreciated.

I understand this isn't a dream build. With the exception of the chassis and barrel chop I'm not putting much money into it. In reality I'm just trying to do something different with my 308. I'll be spending more money on building a 300 win mag later this year.

there's a 16" Savage 30/06 with a 180gr oryx

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241021-161516_Leica Hunting.jpg
    Screenshot_20241021-161516_Leica Hunting.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 13
How long has it been cleaned down to bare metal?
I'm not talking about looking down the bore I mean with an actual bore scope?
If you don't want to spend 50-60 dollars on a bore scope I would buy some sweets or other copper remover.
Get out any carbon first and use some job bore paste with the copper remover until their is not fouling.
If that doesn't work then I would consider new barrel.
But for the price Id just buy a new rifle. New barrel 800.00
New Ruger American 500.00
If it was a action or rifle worth the expense then yes re barrel.
95% of the time on cheaper guns it isn't worth rebarrling

True if he had knowledge and go/,no-go gages.
With the question he asked I'm not very comfortable with just slapping on a pre fit.
If he had someone with guidance that's another story.

How long has it been cleaned down to bare metal?
I'm not talking about looking down the bore I mean with an actual bore scope?
If you don't want to spend 50-60 dollars on a bore scope I would buy some sweets or other copper remover.
Get out any carbon first and use some job bore paste with the copper remover until their is not fouling.
If that doesn't work then I would consider new barrel.
But for the price Id just buy a new rifle. New barrel 800.00
New Ruger American 500.00
If it was a action or rifle worth the expense then yes re barrel.
95% of the time on cheaper guns it isn't worth rebarrling
I have not cleaned it with a bore scope yet. I have used general cleaning rod and patches and checked with light.

I can definitely get a bore scope. Beyond general fouling is there anything else I should look for?

Where this conversation is trending is that all this work may not be worth it on my cheap barrel? Am I better off getting a new barrel? It's not my desire to be wasteful but also don't want to try and save a barrel that ultimately isn't great

Theirs nothing wrong about wanting to change.
Everybody goes through that phase.
My old man was a true die hard of the 30/06 and 308.
Just to be different and thought I'd be smarter than the old man I bought a 7 mag.
Well 30 years later I kinda lean towards what the old man had to say. He is pretty smart for a 80 yr old kraut.
Just don't ever tell him I said so. I still call him a stupid Nazi 😭

Just to clarify. My dad was born 1/5/45
He was born when the allies were bombing the hell out of Germany. He had absolutely nothing to do with the Nazis.
My grandparents were a live during Adolph Hitler's reign.
And what I can tell you from their experience is your getting the same thing regardless of who wins the presidency.
They will put you to war for their financial gains. As my Russian friend's said it doesn't matter who wins or losses someone will always be living in a mansion by the lake.