308 Day Celebratory Fire! 🔥

DoneNOut

New 1000yd 308 rig shot on 308 day for load development 100yds. Criterion bull barrel.
1676B29F-00B3-4DDE-86DB-6E9B77751751.jpeg

C1CEAC5B-8D31-4E34-9AE9-9958FC581FF3.jpeg

The Lord's powder: Varget and 200.20X
70FC5CBE-E5B9-4083-8D9F-946FA6256E5B.jpeg

Like the stock. Seems to shoot ok😁. Sweet!!
Thanks, Its pretty slippery though. Between the stock, and the free recoil/slide of the front bag, and probably inappropriate for this discipline rear bag, the struggle was real. I think it needs to be shot from a bench, so while seated I can just lay my upper body weight into it and manage the recoil better. Don't quote or even consider me a benchrest shooter, because I probably violated cardinal rules of that sport, but all I gotta do is put the bench on the back 40, fool around & find out! 🤘

I have almost the same thing - Savage 12 but mine is an F-Class in 6 BR Norma, X-Caliber full-bull barrel. I like the grey laminated stocks for some reason... have three of them.
What are you doing about a cheek rest? I am entertaining the idea to add one.

What are you doing about a cheek rest? I am entertaining the idea to add one.
I haven't needed one on any of those rifles yet. I try not to snuggle too hard up to them when they're on the rest and tracking.

In the past on several factory Remingtons I've drilled through the stock and put on a kydex one, but that might look tacky on a nicer rifle.

I haven't needed one on any of those rifles yet. I try not to snuggle too hard up to them when they're on the rest and tracking.

In the past on several factory Remingtons I've drilled through the stock and put on a kydex one, but that might look tacky on a nicer rifle.
If I get a decent benchrest rear bag with ears, like a Protektor, is cheek weld necessary?

Not according to the free recoil crowd. But 308 might be around the upper limit of what can handle that, and a hunter stock won't track well enough to shoot it completely free. One guy I shoot with doesn't even grip the stock, puts his finger in the trigger guard and flicks it. I get my hand on it, get my jaw to where it's lined up. Just not jammed up into my cheekbone like when I'm taking a hard hold and muscling the gun onto target.

I use Protektor bags, for a stock like that the either the BB or Dr sloped with the carry handle. Eagle back so the bag lines up with the stock angle and adjusts the vertical.

Not according to the free recoil crowd. But 308 might be around the upper limit of what can handle that, and a hunter stock won't track well enough to shoot it completely free. One guy I shoot with doesn't even grip the stock, puts his finger in the trigger guard and flicks it. I get my hand on it, get my jaw to where it's lined up. Just not jammed up into my cheekbone like when I'm taking a hard hold and muscling the gun onto target.

I use Protektor bags, for a stock like that the either the BB or Dr sloped with the carry handle. Eagle back so the bag lines up with the stock angle and adjusts the vertical.
I'm gonna try a few things today with bags on a bench. I don't want to depart very far from my usual shooting style. To keep things consistent across the board. I will screw up and use one style of shooting on another. I know me! I am just competing against myself here, so if I am keeping my shots on an IPSC plate at 1000 with a 308 I think I'll deserve a medal. LOL

Another note. This scope is only for load development. I have a 10-50X60 target dot Sightron SV ready to install when the rings show up. It has a micro adjust parallax dial that resolves the sight picture something UNREAL!