300wsm Berger bullet ? Help/advice

joko111

I recently made a post looking for a bullet for long range hunting, I have a 300wsm built on a bighorn origin short action and a proof research 24” prefit and a manners pro hunter… I bought some 180 accubonds to try out but I also want to try out the bergers.
Looking at the Berger
180EH
200.20x
205EH

However I use aics mags so I am limited to 2.950 and I was wondering which of these I can use? I figure the 215 and 205 may be a little bit difficult to load if I’m limited by mag space but I’m very new to reloading so any advice you have is helpful! Let me know what I should try to load first! The goal is to have an effective hunting load for deer and possibly elk out to 6-700yds but right now im limiting myself to 600 since I’ve been shooting steel out to 900 and 600 is about where I’m comfortable, I hope to extend that with more practice

I recently made a post looking for a bullet for long range hunting, I have a 300wsm built on a bighorn origin short action and a proof research 24" prefit and a manners pro hunter… I bought some 180 accubonds to try out but I also want to try out the bergers.
Looking at the Berger
180EH
200.20x
205EH

However I use aics mags so I am limited to 2.950 and I was wondering which of these I can use? I figure the 215 and 205 may be a little bit difficult to load if I'm limited by mag space but I'm very new to reloading so any advice you have is helpful! Let me know what I should try to load first! The goal is to have an effective hunting load for deer and possibly elk out to 6-700yds but right now im limiting myself to 600 since I've been shooting steel out to 900 and 600 is about where I'm comfortable, I hope to extend that with more practice
I think I responded on that thread with the 215 Berger as my preference. Yes, the WSM shines at >3.00" COAL. Mine is seated .071" off the lands, but as previously noted, at 2850 FPS, it is not too shabby. At my altitude, for "my unwritten rule" of 1000 FT-LBS for deer and 1500 FT-LBS and 1600 FPS of velocity, it is 1200Y deer and 1000Y elk set-up.

Good luck!

1717171572031.png

Don't worry about the OAL of a loaded round. Just make it fit and feed from the magazine. This is where the Berger Hybrid design really shines. They respond well to a wide range of seating depths.

A friend asked me to load up some 230 gr Berger Hybrid target bullets for his Browning A-bolt in 300 WSM. It had a short 2.8" magazine. I worked up to 61 gr of RL17 for a velocity of 2735 fps. Watched him kill a cow elk at 300 yds. Very impressed with its performance. The 215 should work well too.

Don't worry about the OAL of a loaded round. Just make it fit and feed from the magazine. This is where the Berger Hybrid design really shines. They respond well to a wide range of seating depths.

A friend asked me to load up some 230 gr Berger Hybrid target bullets for his Browning A-bolt in 300 WSM. It had a short 2.8" magazine. I worked up to 61 gr of RL17 for a velocity of 2735 fps. Watched him kill a cow elk at 300 yds. Very impressed with its performance. The 215 should work well too.
I ended up ordering some of the newer 205 elite hunters. Still have a good bc and should have similar performance and it’s more than enough for my needs, may try the 215 later on