300RUM vs 30-378

Remington 700 stainless synthetic off the shelf rifle. First group with it at 750 yards was a little over 4 inches. 225 nosler accubonds at 3264 fps with RE-25 powder. It is an excellent rifle and a great elk rifle. I do not know how much it weighs. My 338-378's shoot this bullet on average close to 3450 fps.

Remington 700 stainless synthetic off the shelf rifle. First group with it at 750 yards was a little over 4 inches. 225 nosler accubonds at 3264 fps with RE-25 powder. It is an excellent rifle and a great elk rifle. I do not know how much it weighs. My 338-378's shoot this bullet on average close to 3450 fps.

I'm guessing your talking about a 338rum. Did you try to load up to see what it would do with out pressure signs?

+1 for 300 rum both are great rounds and not much in them ,the big weatherby will have 100-150fps over the rum and use 10+ grains of powder more to do it,it also depends on the rifle, if you are building a custom or buying a factory built,hard to go past a 300 rum sendero for out of the box performance and if you find that the 300 isn't enough gun you can rebarrel for a 338 rum or edge.

Very well said ! That is exactly what I plan to do. Not sure if I will burn my 300 barrel up first, or go ahead and rebarrel to .338 RUM.

You said you wanted a good elk rifle. Then why not get the best? Both of your choices require a muzzle brake and you will not notice the difference between them and a big 338 with a brake. There is no comparison to an elk getting shot with a big 338 vs. any smaller caliber. And when you make that marginal shot you still get your elk. Or have to drive a bullet through at a bad angle you still get your elk. And when you get back to camp you can be the guy who always can say yep, I got my bull. Instead of being like others who always have the same excuse. I hit a huge one and it got away. Or it was a bad shot angle and I didn't shoot or I shot and didn't have enough gun. I lost it.

I guess when you talk to people about an elk rifle you need to think about who you are talking to and listen to fact and not opinions according to what people have read. I would listen to people who have seen hundreds of elk get shot over 30-40 years and then make a decision. Those kind of guys have seen it all along with all the sad and sick faces in elk camp with all the excuses why they are not the one with the big bull. I can tell you my time is very important and chances at trophy bulls are very limited so I shoot what will put an elk down right now to stay. With current bullet availability nothing beats the big 338's. In a factory rifle the Weatherby Accumark in 338-378 wby is the best elk rifle available. On a budget a remington 338 ultramag is not very far behind and is what I got my big bull with this year at 740 yards. I was backpacking and used a lighter gun than my big heavy 338-378. If you go custom do a 338 Lapua Imp. or a 338-378 wby. Most of the time you will kill your elk with any rifle you choose. But if your going to spend the money why not get the best for all occasions.

I hope that the OP has decided after 14 years.

1702470170567.png

I never thought to 30/378 had that much over the 300rum. I knew it had a little but I thought only about 50 fps and no where near 10 grains.

I might be wrong.
I own a 300 RUM, 338 Lapua, 30-378 weatherby and two .338-.378 Weatherbys.

They are ALL GREAT ELK GUNS!!! The 338 Lapua and 30-378 weatherby seem to be the easiest to reload. The 30-378 weatherby wins on consistency & accuracy. The 300 RUM Has the most factory rifle & ammunition selections. The .338-.378 Weatherbys are just badass and to both shoot and bring to the range. Go with WHAT YOU LIKE! There is no "magic cartridge," spare the .416 Barrett LMAO!

Attachments

• 6FACE759-31FC-44B9-ADB4-636B04E7A0EF.jpeg
    6FACE759-31FC-44B9-ADB4-636B04E7A0EF.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 29
I own a 300 RUM, 338 Lapua, 30-378 weatherby and two .338-.378 Weatherbys.

They are ALL GREAT ELK GUNS!!! The 338 Lapua and 30-378 weatherby seem to be the easiest to reload. The 30-378 weatherby wins on consistency & accuracy. The 300 RUM Has the most factory rifle & ammunition selections. The .338-.378 Weatherbys are just badass and to both shoot and bring to the range. Go with WHAT YOU LIKE! There is no "magic cartridge," spare the .416 Barrett LMAO!

I use Burris PEPR Mounts since I have adjustable combs so scope height is higher than normal. I like this because I don't have to dial as many clicks of elevation.

I have owned and loaded for both. The 30-378 is faster, the 300 more efficient. The 30-378 is going to soak up between a 110-115 grains of powder to get you a couple hundred yards more effective range. Both are part of an elite group of a handful of cartridges that are actually capable of being used to kill an elk or smaller game ethically at a 1000 yards. The 300 RUM will do it with around 90-95 grains of powder. The brass choice are better, cheaper and more readily available for the 300. For me in this case, I choose to keep the 300 over the 30-378, efficiency over raw horse power. If your looking for an ELR or LRH cartridge neither would be a bad choice. Both are expensive to shoot. The Weatherby more so. If you plan to shoot a lot the RUM is the way to go. One other consideration would be stepping up to the 338 Edge or 338 Improved which is my preferred cartridge. You won't really notice the difference in recoil and cost is about the same but you get more thump down range, albeit at a little less flatter trajectory. There are tradeoffs and advantages with each no matter which way you go.

I love when a thread is revived.
I have Both and Love Both.
Straight up HP. and Fun to shoot.
30-378 loves the heavy weights and for me Easy to load for.
But the Rums are good also, and Fun to shoot Small bullets, I got 124 Hammers
Up over 4000fps, thanks ButterBean. 👍🎅

Recent Posts