3006- re chamber ?????Your vote??

35 whelen was my choice. I bought an old ' 06 Adl for cheap and a new takeoff whelen cdl 24" barrel for $80 here at lrh.

Its a nice light gun and hard hitting medium bore rifle.

You can get factory ammo from remington, nosler and asquare.

2750 fps with a 225 accubond is no joke, hell on hogs too! I handload using varget and 30-06 brass with noslers manual

Put a nice thick decelerator pad on it and don't skimp on the scope mounts. I skim bedded my dednutz mount to the action and scope with blue loctite after the Scope jumped in the previous leuopld dovetail rings. No more problems with this setup!

WOW, that would be awesome:)
I am looking at a 210gr TTSX either 24, 25, 26" barrel.

Using Alliant Reloader 15, loaded as hot as would fit and still be under pressure specs, gives the following velocities.

24" 2716fps
25" 2737fps
26" 2757fps

I'd personally go with a slightly heavier contour in 24", make it nice and handy.

AJ

AJ
thanks so much, I really appreciate your help, I think the 27" in the .700 @ muzzle from hart in a stainless fluted barrel would be the ticket, not enough of a gain to go longer and should be a nice round without beating me up.
Dale

I did a quick search and couldn't find any 338-06 ammo. Nosler apparently made some as it is listed on Midway's site. All are out of stock and no backorders. I checked Nosler's site and they no longer list any ammo for this round.

Only A-square lists ammo with a few bullet selections.

I found Weatherby discontinued ammo for it too.

Weatherby Ammunition 338-06 A-Square 210 Grain Nosler Partition Box of 20Product #: 938061 Weatherby #: N386210PT
4.25 stars Read Reviews (4) Write a Review

$67.99

You are considering building something that is going to cause you some major headaches finding ammo. I agree with another poster you should handload if you want a 338-06. You can always find time for handloading. No point in having a great chambering when you are going to be limited to what bullet it will shoot and almost non existent factory ammo.

You said the 30-06 bores you. I would suggest you won't find much killing difference with the 338-06 vs the 30-06. You WILL find every possible bullet combination imaginable with the 30-06.

the .338-06 is the single most wildcated round in N. America. Why? Because it's just about the easiest to shoot. You take a generic case (new or once fored, who cares), and run it thru a Sinclair neck expander, and then your pretty much done anyway. The next step is to size and prime the case. After that you load the powder and bullet, and your good to go.

Now lets take another 30-06 based round that can be bought off the shelf. 35 Whelen? That's very close, and about as common as a smile from one of my ex wives in court. But alas they can be had without going to all the trouble of building a wildcat; or maybe not so much. Cases are near impossible to lay your fingers on; just like the .338-06 round. Bingo we gotta make some brass just like the other, so refer to the previous paragraph.

The O.P. said 30-06 length action which also has a .473" bolt face. I suppose he could open the bolt face to whatever he wanted or simply buy a second bolt. But in the end he's still going to be using a 2 1/2" long case length. His options are not so great when you look at what's out there, and what he already owns and shoots. Right now I'd have to say it's gotta be an 8mm , .338, 358, or a .375 on that case. Of them the 35 and the .338 fit his needs best. Savage has polled the market to see if there is any serious interest in doing a .338-06, and the results were overwhemingly in favor of the round. That was a year ago, and have been told to expect the rifle to be built. If they do, you'll see brass and loaded ammo everywhere; just like the 30-06. Then when they do this; Remington will follow suit right along with the rest of the big boys. After all all of them are only in business to sell rifles, and that round in particular fills a certain nitch (85% of the power and 65% of the felt recoil of a .338 mag)

not a flame but the way I see it this morning
gary

338-06 with those great 210 or 225 gr. Partitions would be fantastic! Scotty keeps trying to talk me into one of these or the 35 Whelen.

30-06 - Nothing wrong with this one you have already. I love that cartridge and it's one of the all time best out there in my opinion. Not much that you cannot hunt with a 30-06 and do it very comfortably.

Conley precision ammo and Superior precision both do load developement for the 338-06 so I have that route if I dont want to reload myself.
I really do think the 33-06 is the way to go, thought about just rebarreling a 300 wsm to 325 wsm but heck...........not as romantic:)

I was going to suggest 270 win, but I see you already have two. I've shot a big lion and a griz that won my guide the Yukon buckle, moose, elks and elan, and some thing small like a dikdik and mountain reed buck, all with 270 win. I don't see a 280 Ack improved, so this is what I'd suggest. You can get Nosler brass, so no need for fire forming. With 160gr AB, I'd not be afraid to tackle brown bear or polar ( you'll have licensed guide to back you up, and polar bear is like shooting fish in a barrel). For LR hunting, you'll have good BC bullets to choose too.

I ove 270, shot a lot with it, really love the 270wsm, I just got my cooper westerner in 270 with AAA walnut, neider butt plate, inletted swivels, very nice gun.

I thought about that one, nice rifle but I have 6.5 creedmore and 257 weatherby.
Thought about going all retro once with 264 win for antelope and deer, and 300 H & H for elk and bear, two rifles built identical, how cool would that be:)

I don't see a 280 Ack Improved, so this is what I'd suggest. You can get Nosler brass, so no need for fire forming. With 160gr AB, I'd not be afraid to tackle brown bear or polar ( you'll have licensed guide to back you up, and polar bear is like shooting fish in a barrel). For LR hunting, you'll have good BC bullets to choose too.
Dalebow, I just reread your first post and realized that you don't reload yet. I checked with Nosler's web and found that for 160gr, they only offer PT bullets. However, they load 160grAB for SAUM. But according to their data, up to 400 yards, the AB showed no advantage over PT. I have a custom Jarrett Rifle in 280 AI specifically for 140gr PT, which I think can tackle sheep and goat nicely up to 400 yards. While I've hunted extensively, LR hunting is some thing new and I really need to get to know. BTW your first post said that you were considering 280AI. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a wildcat with factory ammo?:D 25-06 started life that way.

dalebow, i've built both AI config. 338 06 280, to this day i've yet to find a bullet in 338 that was better than the 230 gr. failsafe for penetration , at 100 measured yds. at 2840, through 4- 1 gallon milk jugs into dirt bank 15 to 20 ft. that slug ended up weighting 229.7 loosing .3 gr. expanded .479 it just awed the heck out of me. my son ,before he went to iraq killed a cow elk running all out at 200+ yards in the valle vidal ,new mexico and told me i hit her in the neck ,my reply "git out of town" he just laughed. she piled up under a dead fall, sure enough when we got to her at the base of her neck right in front of the shoulder 338, bullet hole. those were my handloads and each gun is a law unto itself, 98 mauser action, timiney trigger,my safety 25"bbl lefthand thumb hole laminate tiger stripe stock. my wifes 280 AI loves hornady bullets i throated her chamber .100 deeper to seat the 154's drove those at 3046, i won't put my loads out there because "they are out there" if you follow me. but if you decided on either one of those calibers like several others have stated get into "handloadmode" i know a guy at the whittington center that shoots a 338-06 not an AI he handloads but only gets 2700fps much above that freezes his bolt. just my.2% my own 3006AI drives 190 horn. at 2970 i opened my mag box to 3.380 to seat them out, 180 speer g.s. are 3026fps,useing the same load for my 190s. you can't go wrong hombre. just make the choice!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.