300 WSM

Schwanz

I've got a short barrel (16.5") Scout Rifle in 300 WSM I loaded with H4350.
I maxed out on velocity and case capacity without reaching any pressure signs.
Need a faster powder?
Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Dave.

Hey Sock,
I've been working with 165 Power Hammers, and I topped out at 2920fps. I don't know how realistic it is but was hoping to goose another 100fps or so out of her with a powder change.
This is my first attempt at load development to compensate for a short barrel length.
I think I've got some Big Game kicking around.

Thanks for your input!

RL26 brings the speed butt honestly havent tried it in a 300wsm. I do run Magpro with 168 in a 20" suppressed @3050 and it will go faster but this was accuracy node

I've got a short barrel (16.5") Scout Rifle in 300 WSM I loaded with H4350.
I maxed out on velocity and case capacity without reaching any pressure signs.
Need a faster powder?
Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Dave.
Good Morning, I am just curious about the reach for extra velocity out of a short barrel rifle with the case already at max capacity? Seldom does extremely high velocity result in the best accuracy. More powder is seldom the answer, especially when the case is at 100% and dealing with such a short barrel. If you were to shoot the firearm and watch from the side you will invariably see a large plume muzzle flash. That is powder burning outside of the barrel where it will do absolutely no good. Short barrels are a trade off, ease if handling for a lesser muzzle velocity. If you want to increase the MV then try a lighter bullet, or better yet quit the search for a higher velocity and turn your search toward accuracy. A bullet hitting exactly where you want it is more valuable to a hunter than one that goes fast but doesn't hit its mark.

For my 300wsm Remington, I'm at 2995 fps with 63.9 of h4350 with a Barnes 180 tsx, federal 215 mag primer, and Barnes brass. 24 inch barrel I think if I'm not mistaken.

Try and get good velocity for expansion at the distance the bullet hits the animal, but always make sure the accuracy is there. Speed is nothing if you miss the animals vitals.

Last edited:
Good Morning, I am just curious about the reach for extra velocity out of a short barrel rifle with the case already at max capacity? Seldom does extremely high velocity result in the best accuracy. More powder is seldom the answer, especially when the case is at 100% and dealing with such a short barrel. If you were to shoot the firearm and watch from the side you will invariably see a large plume muzzle flash. That is powder burning outside of the barrel where it will do absolutely no good. Short barrels are a trade off, ease if handling for a lesser muzzle velocity. If you want to increase the MV then try a lighter bullet, or better yet quit the search for a higher velocity and turn your search toward accuracy. A bullet hitting exactly where you want it is more valuable to a hunter than one that goes fast but doesn't hit its mark.
I don't disagree with you, but OP is maxed out on case capacity with no pressure. Without going to compressed load, he needs a faster powder.

But as you said, velocity is of little value if accuracy is not there.

2920 fps with Hammers from your 300 wsm will get it done. That velocity is nothing to sneeze at if its stacking bullets. If its hammering at this current velocity run it. Game wont know the difference and know matter what velocity
" Accuracy is Absolute" ...always.

Recent Posts