300 WSM refresh

wild_musk

My GAP 300WSM is going on 18yrs old. It's time to rebarrel and correct some preferences from when I had it built. At 12.5lb it is heavier than I want it. It has a 24" Bartlein contoured like a sendero, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 and a McMillan HTG with Badger steel bottom metal...I may have to find a lighter stock depending on the barrel weight difference, and the BDM bottom metal limits cartridge oal.
I'm looking at a Benchmark CF 24" 1/9. I want to shoot a 200-210g bullet for elk, but 175 Berger for deer. Currently I use 175g Bergers at 3050, and they max out that AI mag at 2.88" oal. I would replace my bottom metal with a Wyatts (2.99" oal), but still not 100% sure it's enough for the heavier bullets. I know many folks have killed elk with Bergers, but I feel like the Hammers may be a better choice for passthrough, or Nos AB, or Barnes ttsx. Hammer and Badlands both rec faster twist than Berger. I don't think l will go heavier than 210g in whichever bullet I end up with out of a SA.
Does this all make sense? Also are there any recommendations on a reamer and freebore?

Thank, coty

I found some threads discussing lighter weight Hammer bullets for elk, so thanks for the rec. I haven't called Hammer yet, but it sounds like something in the 150g range, or even lighter for inside 500yd. So maybe I should stick with 10 twist and maybe drop down to 22" bbl length...

I found some threads discussing lighter weight Hammer bullets for elk, so thanks for the rec. I haven't called Hammer yet, but it sounds like something in the 150g range, or even lighter for inside 500yd. So maybe I should stick with 10 twist and maybe drop down to 22" bbl length...
Hammer Hunter 166 grain shoots unbelievably well out of my 300WSM over H4350.

Not to derail the thread but does anybody have solid testing results with mono's comparing lightweights at high speed verses heavy weights at slower speed for penetration? Same caliber say 130 grain mono verses 180 grain.

Coldfinger, the thread I found at the Hammer forum discussed the topic but I don't know what you'd consider solid test results. Basically those posters focused on impact velocity over mass.

Not to derail the thread but does anybody have solid testing results with mono's comparing lightweights at high speed verses heavy weights at slower speed for penetration? Same caliber say 130 grain mono verses 180 grain.
With monos it's not about penetration it's about tissue damage and wound channel. With a 100% weight retention bullet it's going to penetrate. With the barnes I've found you need a light for caliber bullet weight and push it hard or the wound channel sucks. Hammers because they shed their petals may be a little different. But still whatever the normal deer or elk bullet weight in cup and core you should drop it down. In my opinion.

The 154HHT is perfect IMO for 300WSM. I am shooting it out of a700SA easily to meet crummy magazine COAL<2.90. 3300 with VV N550. No terminal yet but HHT's have good track record
What powder are you using with it and at what velocity, for reference? 4350 is mentioned a lot, n551 and varget even. I have to figure out what I want to use...

I absolute crumpled a roosevelt elk this year with my 300 wsm and 200.20x bergers at like 30 yards
My buddy was my guide and he said hes never ever seen one die so fast in his life
Then I shot a blacktail with it
Another desert bighorn and 2 mulies in mexico
All of them were one shot, zero steps, immediate death
Shots were from 30 yards to 650 yards

What powder are you using with it and at what velocity, for reference? 4350 is mentioned a lot, n551 and varget even. I have to figure out what I want to use...
Well everything you asked is in my post? Not sure what else do you need?

VV Load data is on line.