300 wmwsm-Problem choice

Firefour

Okay, bucket list items. Always wanted a 300, so I picked up a rem. 300 wsm
plastic stock thin barrel. Not bad, a bit of recoil from the light weight.
Then I picked up a rem. 700 300wm, heavier barrel, a bit better stock.
Like the way it shoots. Only going to keep one of them.

Currently have 6 calibers from 308 on down, shoot fclass,
service rifle, silhouette, and a couple of 1k matches a year. Reload for all, and been shooting since dad put a BB gun in my hands 54 yrs. ago.

Not new to shooting but way New to these two calibers.
For those of you that's been there, done that, I appreciate your insight.

Does one caliber have an edge over the other, accuracy, distance, loading, preference??

If I keep the 300wsm I would have it rebarreled, restocked. Have a manners, mcmillan that would work fine, but the 300win mag is tough to beat also.

Uses: 95% kill paper, steel 600 yds to 1200 yds
Deer, elk hunt next year.
Thanks

You answered your own question. You like the 300win as it is but you would tear apart the 300wsm if you kept it.
The wsm, wssm, saum, etc. lines of cartridges were largely an answer in search of a problem. They shoot, but are they really any better than the belted mags they replace? If you really liked the wsm as is it would be a serviceable choice but the 300win will be faster and shoot as well in a rifle you actually like as she sits.

All in all a .300 wm is hard to beat, in my opinion only it and the 7 RM are in that class...No Issue Cartridges !!! Sure there are faster, more energy cartridges but both have stood the one majortest...TIME....somehow it seems no matter where are roads take us we come right back to either or both...

Okay, bucket list items. Always wanted a 300, so I picked up a rem. 300 wsm
plastic stock thin barrel. Not bad, a bit of recoil from the light weight.
Then I picked up a rem. 700 300wm, heavier barrel, a bit better stock.
Like the way it shoots. Only going to keep one of them.

Currently have 6 calibers from 308 on down, shoot fclass,
service rifle, silhouette, and a couple of 1k matches a year. Reload for all, and been shooting since dad put a BB gun in my hands 54 yrs. ago.

Not new to shooting but way New to these two calibers.
For those of you that's been there, done that, I appreciate your insight.

Does one caliber have an edge over the other, accuracy, distance, loading, preference??

If I keep the 300wsm I would have it rebarreled, restocked. Have a manners, mcmillan that would work fine, but the 300win mag is tough to beat also.

Uses: 95% kill paper, steel 600 yds to 1200 yds
Deer, elk hunt next year.
Thanks
No real advantage between them unless your wsm is built on a long action as it will give you the ability to really seat bullets way out there so you can shoot the heavy for caliber VLD's without giving up case capacity.

Personally I really like the old and ever so reliable 300wm.

Some will tell you that a non belted is "better" than a belted mag but that's voodoo dreamed up by the manufacturers trying to push the short mag's as something "new and Improved".

Pick the one that you like best and run withit.

Keep in mind though that pretty well anywhere you will ever travel on a hunt you'll be able to find the 300wm factory ammo even if you are hunting out of North America and it's easy to find yourself separated from your custom ammo when you travel so that's always a big consideration to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.