300 WM Reloading question

ncfireman83

So my buddy bought a 300 WM built on a TC action from a member. Got tons of info from the seller from reloading, round count, just amazing OCD information kept on the rifle. Original loads are with 195 Sierra TMK and from Illinois. We are in central NC and was shooting today. Noticed anything around 2850-2875 for ***** were great. Anything over 2895-3000+ started opening up. I can vouch for my friend (the new owner) as a shooter, as he is a combat marine marksman and has taught me things I do wrong and helped my longer range shooting. The barrel is a 1:9 twist 26" heavy contour barrel. OG owner was using N170 as his powder but not sure the exact load. Should I look at going with a little faster powder, different (heavier or lighter) bullet, etc? Now it was holding around a little over 1 - 1.5 MOA at 200 yards. But the targets sent with the rifle and verified showed .2 - .3" groups at that distance and a target out to 1500 yards with less around a minute group. I know there are a lot of variables in play here as far as shipping ( shipped no scope and was mounted and torqued to spec and rechecked after our session) shooter, location, etc. I just feel it needs a chance at a little faster powder (H4350, H4831, etc) but looking for insight from someone with a little background in this caliber and heavier bullets.

While I don't have a ton of experience, with a nine twist, I would shoot 200+ grain pills (Probably a 215 Target Hybrid) and look to H1000. H4831 has never been known to be a speed demon, but its been accurate in everything I've shot it in (as in, one of the most accurate powders).

So my buddy bought a 300 WM built on a TC action from a member. Got tons of info from the seller from reloading, round count, just amazing OCD information kept on the rifle. Original loads are with 195 Sierra TMK and from Illinois. We are in central NC and was shooting today. Noticed anything around 2850-2875 for ***** were great. Anything over 2895-3000+ started opening up. I can vouch for my friend (the new owner) as a shooter, as he is a combat marine marksman and has taught me things I do wrong and helped my longer range shooting. The barrel is a 1:9 twist 26" heavy contour barrel. OG owner was using N170 as his powder but not sure the exact load. Should I look at going with a little faster powder, different (heavier or lighter) bullet, etc? Now it was holding around a little over 1 - 1.5 MOA at 200 yards. But the targets sent with the rifle and verified showed .2 - .3" groups at that distance and a target out to 1500 yards with less around a minute group. I know there are a lot of variables in play here as far as shipping ( shipped no scope and was mounted and torqued to spec and rechecked after our session) shooter, location, etc. I just feel it needs a chance at a little faster powder (H4350, H4831, etc) but looking for insight from someone with a little background in this caliber and heavier bullets.
I have had good results with Hornady 208 ELD's 72.6gns Reloder-22, 3/4 MOA @ 100M. ES 9, COL 3340.
Rifle Unique-Alpine 300WM 26" barrel twist rate 1 in 9.5,

I had a custom 300wm built that was almost identical to the rifle you are explaining, except it had a 1-10 barrel. It loved the 195TMK with Imr4350. I was running them around 2900 if I recall correctly and was under half moa

As with anything else, YMMV. I have 3 .300 WMs, and they are all loaded differently. The original owner's 195 SMK and N170 is a combination choice he settled with. That's the beauty of reloading: picking and choosing the combination that best fits your intended purpose and bullet choice. Between H4350 and H4831, I had better luck with the H4831SC. Like @MontanaJack, I, too, have had great success with the 190 Berger; see below.

1727086137903.png

If you load your .300 WM with 215 Berger, you are golden. As @Tiny Tim noted, the Berger 215 and H1000 combination has longitudinal success—do a search on Berger 215 and H1000 here and LRO by Jeff (BROZ). Good luck!

190 gr Berger VLD Hunting bullet, CCI250 primer H4831SC powder shoots 1 hole groups in every gun I've shot. My load is over max listed. Work up powder charge watching for pressure. Nail driver!
I shoot the same load except Federal primers. .6 group been out past 1000 easy. We have 3-300s all 4831sc powder, 3 different bullets, 190 vld, 200 terminal ascent, 212 eldx, all sub moa, very temp stable powder. We hunt eastern NC, Temps rang 90 to 30 during season. Garmin slowest is 2945 my gun, fastest 3077 my sons.

4350 and 4831 are usually to fast. Try Retumbo or H1000. Your friend will see a big difference. RL 22 is good also but I wouldn't work up a load with it since Alliant has stopped distributing it. Extreme spread should go down to 10-15.
Happy Shooting.

Last edited:
4350 has been too fast in either of my 300wm far any bullet. My 26" likes 7828 with 200+gr bullets and both like h1000 with any bullet from 178gr to 220gr. My 208gr travel around 2870fps and my 178gr are rock solid at 2950.
For hunting anything less that 1000 yards I stick to 178gr. Not enough air time to effect windage with 30% less drop. Over that and a 10 mile hr wind at 135 degrees will blow you 3 feet off anyways. Precision shooting is a whole nother matter.