.300 win mag load

J.G.W

I recently brought myself a new Winchester Model 70 SuperGrade in .300 win mag, topped it with a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS, side focus with the 30mm tube. I want to run Barnes TTSX 180gn bullets through it and was wondering if any of you guys had a good load. I'll mainly be hunting red deer out to 600 but will use it on everything from pigs up to water buffalo (at least until I get a .375 H&H).

I have 3 win 70's - a 223, a 300 win mag, and a 325wsm.

all of them require the bullet to be loaded out beyond magazine depth for maximum accuracy. But with both the larger caliber examples, they will shoot a half dozen different kinds of powder equally well, once that long seating is accomplished.

other than that info, I can only suggest combinations for 150 gr. loads in the Win. My Rem is the one which likes the heavier pills.

I have a winchester 70 in 300 winchester mag, with stainless barrel, just getting into long range shooting. I am looking for a load. what kind and weight of bullet, type of primer and amount that should be used, the size of primers should I use. the brand of powder and amout that should be used. I was told that I should use a slow burn

72 gr H4831 with 208 AMAX. A little over 2800fps. 10 shot groups at 300 yd usually around 0.9-1.3 MOA. Best 5 shot at 300 was 1.2". Shot mule deer at 525 and had good expansion. One close in shot under 50 yards. It dropped the deer, but made a big mess. Probably not a good choice for water buffalo and stag.

I did have a pretty good load worked up with the 175 barnes LRX, may want to give it a try. MV was consistently at 3000fps with low SDs. I couldn't quite tighten it up past 1.5MOA in a particular rifle so I moved on. But it would be great for the game you are considering. I think the charge weight on that was around 71-73 gr H4831

Can't believe no one has suggested H1000. I do not shoot it a lot now but before I put a muzzle brake on this rifle (Savage 112 BVSS) I shot the 180-190 range. The charge of 79gn of H1000 w/CCI250's gave me one of the tightest groups ever in this rifle w/the 190gn SMK. I'm talking .142" at 100yds w/3078fps.
Currently running the 212gn ELD-X with 74gn of RL26 and CCI BR2 primers. This is a consistent combo in my rifle. I don't suggest you do what I did but I took it up to 77gn's during load development and that was too much. This rifle has always had a "fast" barrel and with that top load I was getting just over 3100fps! Don't do it. It shot great but busted the ejector in my bolt! I got a 5", 5 shot group at 1K with it but it's too much of a good thing! I only gained 1.5 MOA of adjustment over my current load and oh yeah, a broken ejector. :) johnnyk.

H1000,Federal GM 215, Berger 215 hybrid. I know two guys with model 70's that shoot this bullet very well. Load work up is very easy. Start them at 30-40 thou off if possible and work up to pressure. Easy as that. The 215 is a very forgiving bullet to develop a load for. Plus on game performance is excellent and well documented.

I used 76gr R22 in the 300WM but back in the late 90s, so it was the older Barnes 180XBT. I have found the newer TSX/TTSX do even better in other calibers so your 180 TTSX will do swell. Yes, you "can definitely" drop back ot the 168 TTSX or 165TTSX (which may work better in the Model 70 magazine, in fact, I think it was designed that way for the shorter magazines?) Anyhow, we used that load I named in SA and Namibia on zebra, blue wildebeest, Red hartebeest, Kudu...should be wicked on those Red Stags! have a ball my friend!

I use the 175 LRX with 78 gr H1000 in Norma brass. Very accurate but only running a little over 2900 fps in mine.

215 Berger with 77gr H1000 in Norma brass is also very good at about 2850 or so.

The Barnes is a little tighter but if going after big the big ones, the Berger would get the nod.

i use a remington 700 Long range /300 WM and loaded it with Federarl 215M - 84 grain Retumbo and 168 gr TTSX very accurate and Pretty fast - also 180 grain TSX with 78 gr H1000 are doing good . at Moment i have no scope for my Winchester super grade - but i will test both also in this
good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.