300 Whisper questions

Dave King

I'm thinking I'd like to try a bolt action rife in this chambering. Maybe a short barreled light weight threaded for a suppressor. I believe I'd need an 8 twist barrel and the suppressor I have in mind is a bit heavy so a stout fluted barrel. 220 ot 240 SMKs would be the projectile, sub and supersonic capable.

Custom reticle from Premier with range finder lines and dot holdovers.

Any ideas or suggestions...

Chris, can you do these??

Dave I'll bring mine up to SMTC and let you shoot it the next I come up if you want. I'm only shooting the 180 SMK in it It on a short action. Did you get the targets?

LeMay OUT

Jim

I didn't know you had a Whisper!!!

Okay... Yes I got the targets, thanks.

Did you see the post to your name in this forum? It has the link to your pictures.

6brguy

I have a few suppressors coming as soon as I get cleared by state and the Feds. I transferred my older equipment to another fella and am opting for smaller units. I'll use one on my 308 Win and perhaps the 300 WSM and the new Whisper if I get it, olso have one for a 22RF and will use it on a 10/22 and a Ruger pistol.

Dave,
Done a few of 'em, so I have the reamer, etc. I was thinkin about one myself, so let's use you as the guinea pig and if your's turns out then I can do mine!
grin.gif

Chris

Sure
wink.gif
it's what I live for!

Nothing fancy, Rem 700 SA, whatever hunter or tactical type McMillan stock you have around (one of those "leftover" SC's maybe (no Purple or Pink color and nothing else in a girly color). Short barrel (18 to 20 inch area, prefer 18), fast twist (I was thinking 1 in 8 but want to hear what you have to say too). Fluted but stout as the suppressor is heavy (29 oz).

Badger Bases, 8 x 40 screws, matte grey finish on the steel.

What did I miss?

Whats the cost?

Is it done yet???

Dave--i was thinking of threading a 10/22 MKII for my 223 can also--how does that work--seems it would work good (maybe better since mine is built for the 223)

also how loud is the action moise on both as i was going to thread a bolt 22 also to avoid that.

JB

Last I had and used sounded like a stapler being used, if fact that's what folks too to calling the gun, the "Staple gun". If used indoors on a hard surface floor the 22RF brass hitting the floor is often louder than the anything else.

There is considerable noise at the receiving end! The "whack", "crack" or "blooop" sounds we are familiar with become more pronounced and are quite loud by comparison to the firearm going off. (Or heaven forbid a round misses or is a pass-through, the "zingggggggg" is loud and lasts seemingly forever.)

what does one need to do to obtain license for suppressor in pennsylvania? have asked local gunshops and looked online still have yet to find anything.

Jordan--you dont keed a "lisence" you just need to go to a lisenced class 3 dealer--loads of them in PA. The one i went to was down philly, because they had the best price, but there are more than you would think in the state.

you order and pay for what you want (223 can = $500+) (308 can = $800) then when the shop gets it they document the serial number and fill out their part of the required paper work.

then they send it to you to fill out:
-reason- i use "collector"
-signature from your county's sheriff
-passport type pics to glue to form (done @ AAA if you are a member)
-fingerprint cards to fill out (local PD)

then just other Biographical info.

then you send the form and fingerprint cards back to the dealer and they send it to the ATf and when you are approved (3-7 months) the dealer will call you and you go fill out a yellow form and pick it up there.

Whew!!--o yea when you send the completed forms back to the dealer you must include a $200 check to the ATF for the required stamp

BTW--you get the paper with your pictures glued on back when you pick up the device (silencer/sawed-off, auto) and you should make copies of it and must always keep a copy with you when using the device.

JB

[ 01-30-2004: Message edited by: jb1000br ]

Dave,
What do you mean is it done yet? Hell, I ain't got your 300 WSM done yet! Give me a ring at the shop Monday and we work out the details.
Chris
PS Ric had me first, Len gets sloppy seconds and that leaves you where?
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts