.300 WBY 1:10 twist bullet recommendations

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on pointing my old man in the right direction for bullet choice in a .300 wby he picked up.

It's a Weatherby carbonmark and google tells me it's a 1:10 twist, I haven't been looking at what .30 cal bullets have come out in the last 7 or so years since I developed a load for my .300 WM

Typically I lean towards high BC bullets and I'm not typically scared of shooting match bullets in most of my calibers and typically sway toward SMKs and Bergers in my hunting rifles, however I would like to have this gun set up primarily for a larger game rifle (elk mainly but perhaps moose, bou or even bison if one of us is lucky enough to draw a tag)

therefore I'm considering setting up a bonded or even a solid for this rifle, which I have nearly zero experience with (other than accubonds).

Thanks for some recommendations, I appreciate it!
181 hammer hunters over 84gr of H1000 have done very well out of my 30-26 Nosler.

Call Steve at Hammer Bullets and try the 181 Hammer Hunters. You'll be happy you did.
As much as I like Hammers, Steve, etc I'll give one caveat:

Some of the Hammer bullets do not feed well in a Mark V action. Steve was gracious enough to develop the 146 Hammer Hunter (7mm) for me because the "pointier" 131 will jam, and I tested it in several different rifles. I've seen similar with the 181 in a 300 Weatherby.
Vanguard actions, Remingtons, no problem. It has to do with how the Mark V feeds and the angles involved.

You may want to buy a sample pack first and test them.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on pointing my old man in the right direction for bullet choice in a .300 wby he picked up.

It's a Weatherby carbonmark and google tells me it's a 1:10 twist, I haven't been looking at what .30 cal bullets have come out in the last 7 or so years since I developed a load for my .300 WM

Typically I lean towards high BC bullets and I'm not typically scared of shooting match bullets in most of my calibers and typically sway toward SMKs and Bergers in my hunting rifles, however I would like to have this gun set up primarily for a larger game rifle (elk mainly but perhaps moose, bou or even bison if one of us is lucky enough to draw a tag)

therefore I'm considering setting up a bonded or even a solid for this rifle, which I have nearly zero experience with (other than accubonds).

Thanks for some recommendations, I appreciate it!
Hornady .208 or 212... good starting point!

My 300 WBY Accumark likes the heavier pills. 200 gr Nosler AB shot great. Switched over to the 200 gr Barnes LRX for non-toxic restrictions. The Barnes shoots awesome. 3090 FPS over 79.0 g of RL23.
When I wrote my earlier comments, I forgot the 200. I loaded 200 AB and 200 PT (both Nosler) when I went to Africa in 2014 wit RL22 and Fed215. One Accumark, one Japanese MKV. Both shot lights out. Had great success.

The best I have ever shoot was 185 classic hunter with H1000. The second one is 210 LRAB with H1000 haven't shoot as many yet but they seem to be growing on me. If you want a just killing machine go 180 corlokt or partition I have the same cartridge and love it good luck. Oh if I was going less than 400 yards then partition and corlokt all the way 180 to 220 grain your pick.

In mine the 185gr. Berger's were the bomb. I loaded up the 210lrab and live them to I get 3080ish with the 210 and H1000 with around 3/4moa and single digit SD's. With that the 185's made great 1300 yard hits on steel. They were an 3/4 moa or a lil better I just dont like Berger terminal ballistics here in Arkansas the shots are to close and they blow big holes in deer sometimes not getting to the vitals very good.

Used 200gr. hot core spire point Speer with 77.5 grains of IMR 4350 in a Model 70 Winchester in 300 Weatherby caliber a number of years ago. Was a factory rifle at that time probably 25 to 30 years ago worked well. Chronographed at 2960fps group size .75"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.