30.06 Load

Slopeshunter

Good day everyone,

I would like to work up a load for my 30.06 to use on deer out to 500 yards. Looking for some input on what type/weight bullet to use.

tks all!

Without starting a argument about using target bullets on deer , I would say the 180gr Nosler Ballistic tip , its got a bc of .500 and enough weight to have plenty of thump at 500yds. Start at at 55grs of either H-4350 or IMR-4350 and work you way up. I haven't run accross a 30-06 that diden't like 4350 with about all bullet from 150-200gr , generaly you can end up around 58grs in most factory guns 60 in some with a little tighter chambers. 55grs sould give you around 2700fps and usualy you can get up to 2900fps which will shoot pretty well out to 500yds.

Now if you don't mind shooting match bullets and if you can get them to shoot from you gun the 168-175gr Berger VLDs shoot realy flat when run out around the 3000fps mark. The trouble is generaly that you can seat the bullet out far enough like they want to be shot and still feed from the magazine.

+1 on everything said above....except I wouldn't encourage any normal reloader to be going much past 2750 fps with a normal 22-24" barrel hunting rifle with a 180.

Thanks JD. I have used IMR-4350 in this rifle before, and it does like it. More recently I have shot some RL-22 out of this rifle, and it seemed allright?

Do you think I should stick with the 4350? Or might I be better to work some up with both and see which groups & chrono's better?

I'm not interested in shooting target bullets. I have used ballistic tips in this gun and they did work well on an antelope a few years ago. What do you think about accubonds with this calibre? I've yet to try them, but have heard alot of good about them.

Thanks again for the reply.
Good info!

My Rem 700 with a 24" SS barrel likes 58.0-58.5g of H4350 with the 180g Ballistic Tip at 2875 fps, this is the accuracy load for this gun.

For deer, I don't think that you will need an accubond bullet shooting a 180g Bullet, but that is just my opinion.

All guns are different. Here is an excellent site where a guy uses pressure testing equipment to push the '06 to the limits.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/316101735

This data matchs my quickload program very closely. In my opinion anyone pushing 2850 with a 180 grainer and 4350 is very likely doing about 65k pressure or more on a continual basis. It's real possible that pressure signs like sticky bolts and primer pockets going to heck in 2-3 loadings won't always show up at these speeds but probably not a good place to strive for the average reloader.

None of my business if you guy think you want to run your '06's there....I just don't think it should be recomended to the "average guy" that might not even have a chrono to help him judge what's happening with the loads.

In response to the question of whether to experiment with both RE22 and 4350----the answer is YES YES YES.

Slopeshunter,

I ran a number of loads through several different makes of '06 several years ago. Best combo I had was using the 150gr Nosler in either the solid base or the ballistic tip, sitting over 57.5grs of IMR-4350 seated to a OAL of 3.250". This load shot so well that it is my standard load now. It has put numerious groups under 1" at 100yds through several makes of rifles, from Remington to Mossberge.

You can drop the charge down to 54.5 and work up some from there using the 165's. Either should work for what your looking to do and it isn't pushing the envelope. I will drop velocity over groups any day, and with the above mentioned load I hit everything I put the + on out to 400yds, and it always dropped.

I tried the RL-22 and it worked for a few loads but on others it got a little wiggy. The loads were developed in 70'ish degree weather, and when it got in the mid to upper 90's I startd to flatten primers, when it dropped into the mid to lower 30's, I got a distinct drop in pressure and velocity.

The IMR-4350 might have had a swing to it, but I never noticed it out to 300yds.

I would go with the 180gr. ballisitic tip or maybe an amax. You might be surprised with the berger bullets if you ever want to try them in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.