30-06 load flattened primers?

Now to the question, I'm .3 gn above the suggested max load and safely worked up from 2.2 gns under. No obvious signs of pressure, easy bolt lift etc. However, upon examining the cases in artificial light I think that the primers might be a little flat - even when well under max load. The one on the left is at 2.2 gns under, the one at the right is .3 gns over. What's your opinion on the safety (and the results) of this load work up?
"I" do not like any pressure signs on my load. It appears you are concerned about pressure; otherwise, you would not post it here. If you are concerned, take it down a notch to a much safer zone. You have the ultimate choice to proceed with what you have and people's recommendations, but you are also responsible for your safety. There is no substitute for safety - SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY ...

Not sure how many reloads you'll get out of Starline brass at those pressures, heavy bolt lift is a key sign. Don't make my mistake. Check for CARBON RING about every 50-100 rounds. THAT will ruin your chamber once your pressure spikes.
I have a 330 WM and a 300 NM. 300NM after 250 rounds had an occasional velocity jump of around 50-75 fps. Then came the 200+, and I had no idea what happened. Borescoped and found the big, fat, crusty ring. I'm told VV N565 can build rings faster than other manufacturers. FYI.

Hmmmmm, I don't think so….
178g bullets will surpass 3200fps in a properly throated 300WM.
Next step for your load will be loose primer pockets, no way would I be running that load more than once.

Cheers.
Yeah, I realized that you can get more out of the cartridge - just going by the Hornady estimates which have 3000 as the max load for most powders.

You have to be your own best judge. Nothing wrong with asking, can get some good info. In the end, it's you behind the rifle, and you suffering the results of any mishaps.

When I was 13, I loaded some hot .44 Mag loads. My Dad said "Don't shoot them in my revolver." I just pulled the bullets on those, 60 years later. In the 60s I was seeking a .44 Mag+ . Why? Didn't ask then, can't say now. Now I have .454 Casull and 475 Linebaugh.

If you want 300 WM velocities, maybe better to get a 300 WM. One of the things I love about the '06 is it's reliable middle of the road performance. Higher velocities might be had using lighter weight (130) Hammer or Barnes. One way or the other, I won't push the limits.

Good Luck!

22" in a Savage 110 with stainless barrel and action.

I have some starline brass where the primers seat pretty deep. I find on their brass where the primers seat deeply, I get pretty flat primers no matter the load. Of course they're less flat when shooting a lower charge but they're flatter than you'd expect.

So in a case like this, I'd compare the primers of that load to a load well under book max. As long as it's not filling the whole primer pocket and there's no cratering and zero other signs of pressure, I'd probably be ok using it but would be sure to not shoot it in hotter weather and not let your rounds sit on the sun while you're shooting.

However....I think you said you're 0.3gr above book? . In the Hornady data in their app, I see 59.3 as max and 2750 for velocity with a 24" barrel. Yours is a 22". That's a huge velocity difference and there's no free lunch. You're likely above their max pressure but they do not state the max pressure of that load. It could be 57k psi, or 59k psi. With your 22", it would be ~2950fps with a 24". That's 200fps difference.

So......? If it were me, I would not be worried for my safety as long as it was not hotter weather and i only had a couple reloads on the brass. But I'd probably back down 0.5-1.0gr, just to be sure I don't have any pressure spike problems when hunting and to lengthen brass life. If you're on the edge of pressure that will cause problems (stuck bolt etc), then getting some moisture in the chamber or something similar when hunting can cause a pressure spike, then stuck bolt, then you're kinda screwed on your hunt.

Recent Posts