#3 Bartlein with a Gamehunter stock

Moman

I'm putting together components for a new build. Action is a Rem 700 and will be chambered for a 300 WM. Stock will be a Gamehunter with Edge fill (1.75 lb). I'm looking at a Bartlein #3 fluted barrel finished at 25-26". Would like to get some feedback from someone who has built something similar. Finished weight, is it tip heavy or does it balance ok? Ive also looked at the #19 and may have to go that way but would really like a little more meat on it. Right now this gun has a Broughton 25" 4.1 contour and it's very tip heavy with a McMillan Rem Classic w/ edge fill.

Last edited:
I have a game scout on my 300 win mag with a #3 Brux, Borden timberline, BDL, jewel, NF SHV. Finished right at 10 lbs. I believe my stock is standard fill and not the edge. It feels nicely balanced to me. Barrel is 26" with a Holland brake.

I have a game scout on my 300 win mag with a #3 Brux, Borden timberline, BDL, jewel, NF SHV. Finished right at 10 lbs. I believe my stock is standard fill and not the edge. It feels nicely balanced to me. Barrel is 26" with a Holland brake.
Thanks Beeman, that #3 Bartlein would be a similar contour to the #4 Brux. I'm glad you posted that though, I'll take a look at the #3 Brux, I'm open to all ideas.

McMillan really sells that edge fill which I won't disparage in any way. That said, a Bartlein #3 is a heavy #3. The stock will be super light. I would expect the balance point 1-2" in front of the front action bolt.

I personally like my field rifles to balance on the front action bolt….you have to decide for you. Try weighting rifles you own and see where you want your balance.

if you want to drop a bag on a post and shoot 500 yds, forward weight is good. So is a 17lb rifle. If you want off hand or position shooting, you need more rear weight, most likely.

There is also overall weight….a 6lb rifle carries great, but can be hard to shoot. A 8-10 rifle still carries well, but is more shootable. An 11-13lb rifle shoots better, but is start to get heavy in the field. 15+ lb rifles shoot great, but carry would be hard even for pretty serious folks.

Honestly, I cannot tell you what your want. You need to figure out weight and balance point.

My hunting rifle is a Win 70 #3 Brux B&C Sporter stock w/ Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x. I find it an easy to carry 10.5lbs. Runs well off the tripod, bags and off hand.

The brux #3 is nice. But doesn't look great with the brake. Kind of a bulge at the end of the barrel. The brake does tame recoil Nicely though. Drives 215 Berger's at 3000 FPS.

you don't mention the scope which will add weight on the butt side of the balance point.
I have rifle a 26" Bartlein 3B (which i think is about 1/4 lb heavier than a #3) Manners MSC-T in their carbon weight (28oz) and a NForce NXS which is 32 oz.
This rifle is barrel heavy and not comfortable to carry. Im trying to shoot the barrel out so i can re barrel with a 2B or carbon wrapped

Recent Posts