• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED .284 Proof sendero light 1-8tw… read the story

nhenry

In 2020, I decided to build my dream rifle. I bought all the components, including a carbon blank from Proof. I went to a local smith who claimed he knew what he was doing.

What came back to me was troubled extraction due to a rough chamber. After taking it to GAP to polish the chamber, I got a call from George Gardner himself saying that the thread tenon was very much screwed up.
This is what they sent me:
IMG_9881.jpeg
IMG_9882.jpeg

I was heartbroken. They cleaned it up the best they could, but I had inconsistent accuracy day to day. One day it would be a dream, the next the load would fall apart. This is because of the threads, not the actual barrel.

I consulted a friend who's a smith and he informed me that a guy could start new threads where the recoil lug abutment is, and chase out the new chamber with a short action magnum, 7mm-08 AI, or 7 SAW. I contacted Proof and a fellow on another forum who cuts his proof shanks short, and they confirmed it.

I had plans to do a 7 SAUM, 7-270 WSM, or 7-6.5 PRCW. I don't have the time or funds to do that anymore, so here I am selling the "junk" barrel.

As it sits, it's a 24", 1-8tw sendero light in 280 AI threaded for a Rem 700. When all the work is done, it will be around 22.5-23". It's got 150 rounds through it. It also has muzzle threads (5/8-24), but I was going to cut them off too. I'll send it with the planed recoil lug.

The market is limited for this, but I want it gone so when I do get around to building another, I won't feel guilty about going with a different caliber.

$200 to your door.

IMG_9878.jpeg

IMG_9883.jpeg
IMG_9884.jpeg

IMG_9885.jpeg

Last edited:
This would be a great candidate for a s/a cartridge in a Tikka T3. A shorter shank would likely bring the OD of the material past tenon to meet the face of a T3 action. Terrible machining on the part of the OG smith, I haven't seen galling or chatter like that since 2016. $200 is not only fair for a project, but imo gracious given the headache stated above.
GLWS and I hope you never have to deal with this again.

This would be a great candidate for a s/a cartridge in a Tikka T3. A shorter shank would likely bring the OD of the material past tenon to meet the face of a T3 action. Terrible machining on the part of the OG smith, I haven't seen galling or chatter like that since 2016. $200 is not only fair for a project, but imo gracious given the headache stated above.
GLWS and I hope you never have to deal with this again.
I appreciate this! Thanks!

Yes, a T3X was the candidate for the new tenon and chambering. It made the most sense to me

I appreciate this! Thanks!

Yes, a T3X was the candidate for the new tenon and chambering. It made the most sense to me
$200 for a CFW Proof barrel chambered and ready to go is a steal. The history means nothing if this barrel has been made to screw on an action and use. Not sure any of the history is important at this point.

$200 for a CFW Proof barrel chambered and ready to go is a steal. The history means nothing if this barrel has been made to screw on an action and use. Not sure any of the history is important at this point.
I don't want any backlash from a sale, plus the old tenon is so far beyond spec that the best thing you can do is cut and rethread. Wanted people to know

I don't want any backlash from a sale, plus the old tenon is so far beyond spec that the best thing you can do is cut and rethread. Wanted people to know
Oh ok, so it still could be better after a gunsmith rethreads and rechambers it. What's the length of this barrel currently ?

Hard to believe it took this long. Congrats. Now find the "Right" gunsmith for the next one. That last one was definitely a F_ _ K story.
Found a better gunsmith for the rebarrel and he packed up shop a couple months ago. Go figure 🤣

IMG_9889.jpeg