28 nosler help

Verk

I'm doing a 28 nosler and need a recomended throat length I am planning on shooting the 195 vld's but would like to keep the door open for the 180 vld's.......trying to get the most velocity out of it.....with room for throat erosion.........thanks for the info

Yes that is what I am asking. Just thinking saami spec would have the 195 to far in case to get max potential out of cartridge

I must be asking some trade secrets..............

The final dimensions of the 195 gr bullet haven't been published. Any advice given, at this point, is just a guess. When you get the dimensions of the bullet, you have to decide what relationship you want between the bullet and the lands. From that point it's just math.

.188" is pretty standard for 162/168 class bullets. I think 180's are about .200" (most reamer manufacturers can verify this). The 195's are .120-.130" longer but I bet the bearing surface isn't much longer than the 180's to get the BC up that high. I don't like to build something for just one bullet so I'd throat it for 180's in case the 195's don't shoot for you. You can always have the throat lengthened but you'd have to rework the reamer and set the barrel back to shorten it.

The 195's are .120-.130" longer but I bet the bearing surface isn't much longer than the 180's ..

This is why I said advice before the final dimensions is a guess. I'd guess the bearing surface of the 195's is shorter than the 180.

Wow surprised me I would have thought longer...........is 3050 to 3100 fps do able........powder selections h1000....... Retumbo............and. Reloaded 26.......... F215 primers.......

Len Backus said he thought 3100 would be possible. He probably knows as much as anyone at this point.

`
quote=Verk;1109417]Wow surprised me I would have thought longer...........is 3050 to 3100 fps do able........powder selections h1000....... Retumbo............and. Reloaded 26.......... F215 primers.......[/quote]

Considering I have ~ the same case capacity as your 26nos with my 7stw, I doubt rl26 will be slow enough to get 3100 fps from a 195 unless you have a very long barrel. My 27" 8" twist Shilen was only able to get to the high 3100's with 180 berger match hybrids before pressuring out.
I'm looking at rl33 and retumbo ,or possibly rl50 for the 195's in my 7stw when they get here. My brother is having great luck with rl50 in his 26nos with 130ab's and I've had good luck in the past with rl50 in my 300rum and my old 7stw barrel. Imr 7977 may be a very good ticket to punch with these heavies too.

Len is saying 28 nosler will be 100 feet per sec faster than stw don't want to start a war just trying to cut my reloading time down when it's done I'll only have 2 and a half week to get it shooting lights out..........then. It's Montana elk hammering time!!!

Len is saying 28 nosler will be 100 feet per sec faster than stw don't want to start a war just trying to cut my reloading time down when it's done I'll only have 2 and a half week to get it shooting lights out..........then. It's Montana elk hammering time!!!

:D:D:D they have said that about the new dog many times before. The wssm, saum, wsm, rum..... All are "better" and "more efficient" than the old dog. I'll play with any big 7mm though... At present I have a 7stw and a 7rum. I'll build one of the big nos rifles the next time I have a barrel failure. I'll bring a few tissues along for the disappointment crying too I'm sure.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.