270WSM Handloads

I popped lots of whitetails in the head in my teens with an old Rem Mod 721 270win with 100 grain bullets. No where near that velocity!! Do you have to mail order Hammer bullets? I never used any but See lots of positive comments about them in these forums.

Have you only tried a .010" bullet jump?
Have you tried jumping the bullets in .030" increments?
not yet. I like to ID low ES point and then tune accuracy with jump. I'm always open to new ideas if you use a different approach I'm primarily searching for advice here re/ best powder, bullet design, and bullet weights to get a good starting point. I am anxious to try the 100 gr Hammer load that one respondent offered. I would like to find an effective combination in the 130 to 150 gr range for elk hunting too.

not yet. I like to ID low ES point and then tune accuracy with jump. I'm always open to new ideas if you use a different approach I'm primarily searching for advice here re/ best powder, bullet design, and bullet weights to get a good starting point. I am anxious to try the 100 gr Hammer load that one respondent offered. I would like to find an effective combination in the 130 to 150 gr range for elk hunting too.
I think the Bergers you want to use will work but I'm guessing you need to jump them a LOT more. The load I posted earlier is with the 150 Bergers and it's jumping over .100 and shoots bugholes.

FWIW, my T3X shoots 140 Accubonds very well with 66g of RL26. COAL was limited to magazine length so has a fair jump. These chronograph 3200fps.

Uh…the combos these guys are posting are set up for their barrels…not yours.

Thinking their loads will work as well in your barrel as theirs…is wishful thinking…

@MontanaJack has your account been taken over by a bot?
Hoping to luck out. FYI, I have a 300 Win Mag load and a 6.5 Creedmoor load that work in over 4 rifles each. The Creedmoor load is seated to SAMI Max length and seems to work universally. The 300 Win Mag load gets tweaked for jump but otherwise has been universally producing subminute accuracy in 90% of the rifles I tried it. You 're right, it doesn't always work, especially in mass produced rifles. I plan to take powder recommendations through the min -max load listings to ID low ES and watch for pressure. Personally, I never provide powder charge weights for the very reason you point out. Discussion in these forums really helps me.

What brass are you using? I settled on Nosler brass for my 270 WSM. I had the same struggles getting the Bergers to shot in mine. For 150 class bullets my rifle liked the Accubond Long Range. RL23 with 215M.
For the lighter weight bullets I shoot the hammer hunters. Same powder and primers.
If you're set on the 150 Bergers I'd give the H1000 or the 7828 a try.
Winchester Brass. My goto if I can't get Lapua in a caliber. I do use Wetherby for my Wetherby rifles. Using Hornady in the Creedmoors because it was available. I avoid Remington and Federal based on past problems.

Winchester Brass. My goto if I can't get Lapua in a caliber. I do use Wetherby for my Wetherby rifles. Using Hornady in the Creedmoors because it was available. I avoid Remington and Federal based on past problems.
Maybe try some other brass. Find some Norma or Nosler and give it a go. I saw some Winchester factory ammo in 270WSM the other day and was very disappointed by what I saw. It was actually very concerning by what I saw Winchester putting in a box of $74 Ammo. All the shoulders (every one of them) had compression dimples in them. Not very confident or comfortable in their brass or ammo these days. Maybe try these for your hand loads.

Last edited: